Questions about the Fiio E9/E17 combo
Aug 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bassophile

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, does anyone know if the new E17 is compatible with the old E9 (I bought my E9 in around 2011)?

And, I notice my E9 has a 'usb in' port, so does that mean that with the E17 attached, I can use the unit as a DAC/amp combo connected directly to my computer? Is it MAC compatible as well?

Also is the E7 or E17 more reccomended for use with the E9 in terms of sound quality?

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 7
hey,
I can only answer your 2nd and 3rd question

2. yes it is a DAC/amp combo, it uses the dac from the e17 and the amps of the e9
3. yes it is mac compatible without drivers

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks guys, just got the combo and it works great - but I've noticed that you can adjust the volume either through the volume knob on the E9, or through the buttons on the E17...

Is it better to have the volume turned up high on the E17 and low on the E9, or vice versa? Or does this not affect the sound quality in any way?

Also, there is a slight rustling sound that can be heard through the headphones when adjusting the volume on the E9... Does this mean that I have a faulty E9, or is it normal? And this rustling sound is damaging my headphones, is it?

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 7
I think the E17 uses digital attenuation so it's better to use the one on the e9. The rustling sound is normal, More amplifiers do this, if i listen to a low bass test on mine the rustling is deafeningly loud.

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 7
I think the E17 uses digital attenuation so it's better to use the one on the e9. The rustling sound is normal, More amplifiers do this, if i listen to a low bass test on mine the rustling is deafeningly loud.

Thanks.

So should I put the E17 on full volume, and adjust to the desired level with the knob of the E9? Or put the E17 at some moderate volume, and adjust the desired level with the knob of the E9?

Just not sure if there will be distortion having the E17 at full volume, but of course, if you put the E17 on 0 volume, no sound will come out even if the E9's knob is maxed out...

Come to think of it, surely I'm doing it wrong - when you dock the E17 to the E9, surely the volume of the E17 should be constant (as in you can't adjust it)?

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks.

So should I put the E17 on full volume, and adjust to the desired level with the knob of the E9? Or put the E17 at some moderate volume, and adjust the desired level with the knob of the E9?
If it is possible you should put the E17 on full volume but if the range on the E9 is to small if you do so, you could put the E17 on a modereate volume.
Just not sure if there will be distortion having the E17 at full volume, but of course, if you put the E17 on 0 volume, no sound will come out even if the E9's knob is maxed out...
I dont think there will be any distortion as it doesn't use the amplifier of the E17
Come to think of it, surely I'm doing it wrong - when you dock the E17 to the E9, surely the volume of the E17 should be constant (as in you can't adjust it)?

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 7
  Thanks.

You can activate the E17 LO BYPASS switch using a pin.(Press it down using a pin/pen). This will allow you to control the Volume just with the E9 and  E17 will act as a DAC with no effect of Volume/EQ to the headphone out as you want it to be.
8386864754_79802ebf5a_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back