Questions about the denon ahd1001 Silver
Dec 13, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 7
Headroom is selling them for $89 plus free shipping now
icon10.gif

Just picked a set up.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 7
I paid the "in the store tax" and had them for a bit more than 120 dollars w/o tax. I have to say, I was very critical of them despite how open they did sound, of them over my old all rounders the HD555s. I hook them into some real amplification, dial the trebel down just a notch and I really heard what others have been saying about these. I don't feel bad about what I paid, so there you go. If you get them to sound as they should, 85 seems like a total steal, and I am not mad at all that I paid a fairl amount over 100 for them.

Great 'phones, just that they were sold where I expected them to not need a mid-hifi setup: Frys. I don't think many walking out with a pair are going to be happy plugging them into their ipods. No big-box store that I know of even sells a head amp, strictl.y speaking. Maybe headphone circuits on some receivers would do alright though, don't know. Sounded alright on my NAD pre, but that was NAD and a tubed DAC hooked into it. In the bedroom I bought a somewhat cheap "pro" headamp from Behringer, and hooked an extra non-os DAC to it. It has plenty of power and I can dial down the treble, after which I heard something extremely wonderful from these. I would pay more than 120 dollars for this sound, if only it wasn't such a pain to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back