Questions about the 840C
Jul 31, 2008 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nd4speed

100+ Head-Fier
Just a few questions about using the 840C as a DAC

Can I feed it a 24/384 rip through it's optical input?
If I feed it something lower will it oversample to 24/384?
What other impressions do you have of the 840C as a DAC?

Thanks!

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nd4speed /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks!

Why would you want to rip something at 24/384 ?

24 x 2 x 384,000 = 18432000 bits/second

x 300 = 5529600000 / 8 = 691,200,000 Bytes

/ 1048576 = 659.18 MB per 5 minute song
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you want to rip something at 24/384 ?

24 x 2 x 384,000 = 18432000 bits/second

x 300 = 5529600000 / 8 = 691,200,000 Bytes

/ 1048576 = 659.18 MB per 5 minute song
confused_face_2.gif

I wouldn't, i just wanted to know if it would take any sample/bit rate I throw at it (that it's capable of oversampling to). I should have phrased the question differently.

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

1. Nope. I doubt that the input can handle more than 24/192. The Clock Receivers I know of only go up to 192KHz, so they wouldn't be able to lock on to a 384KHz incoming signal.The 384 part refers to the decoding ability of the DAC chip. Even then I question this claim. For audio CD the frequency would be 352.8KHz, and for DVD audio it would be 384KHz.
2. Nope. 16 bit will remain 16 bit, and the 44.1KHz CD audio would be oversampled by 8x, which makes it 352.8KHz.
3. If you want a DAC for serious listening, then get a DAC. They are designed for just one purpose in mind, and the good ones are not compromised in their ability.

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 9
I haven't had the 840c too long but it's a very fine CDP and DAC. Running my MacBook Pro via optical produces excellent results, easily good enough for "serious listening." I've not yet used anything but the stock settings for dither, etc. If you're looking for a CDP with digital inputs it's certainly worth a listen. If you're looking for a straight DAC, there's a raft of great options available.

o

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Nope. I doubt that the input can handle more than 24/192. The Clock Receivers I know of only go up to 192KHz, so they wouldn't be able to lock on to a 384KHz incoming signal.The 384 part refers to the decoding ability of the DAC chip. Even then I question this claim. For audio CD the frequency would be 352.8KHz, and for DVD audio it would be 384KHz.
2. Nope. 16 bit will remain 16 bit, and the 44.1KHz CD audio would be oversampled by 8x, which makes it 352.8KHz.
3. If you want a DAC for serious listening, then get a DAC. They are designed for just one purpose in mind, and the good ones are not compromised in their ability.

Thanks for the info, that clears up a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't had the 840c too long but it's a very fine CDP and DAC. Running my MacBook Pro via optical produces excellent results, easily good enough for "serious listening." I've not yet used anything but the stock settings for dither, etc. If you're looking for a CDP with digital inputs it's certainly worth a listen. If you're looking for a straight DAC, there's a raft of great options available.

o

Orkney, I just got the same amp you have(HR Desktop Balanced); do you find the on-board DAC adequate? Have you tried using the 840c as a DAC for it? I've been laboring to find a DAC to pair with this amp, am I just wasting my time? I'm still waiting for my balanced cable and DPS so I haven't auditioned it yet. Thanks.

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Thanks for the info, that clears up a lot.

Orkney, I just got the same amp you have(HR Desktop Balanced); do you find the on-board DAC adequate? Have you tried using the 840c as a DAC for it? I've been laboring to find a DAC to pair with this amp, am I just wasting my time? I'm still waiting for my balanced cable and DPS so I haven't auditioned it yet. Thanks.

First off, congrats on the amp -- it's a killer, especially through its balanced outs, where in combo with the HD650s makes for some of the best HP sound I've had.

I haven't done any comparos yet between the Home DAC and the 840c's balanced outs though will try to have a go this weekend. But the Home DAC replaced the Apogee Duet in my system and I think it's excellent, resolving and with a nice ease too -- different from the extreme lucidity of the Duet but just as satisfying to my ears. I think the Home DAC in its balanced config is likely very competitive but I haven't heard many others in the top tier. The 840c is part of my speaker rig -- if I were only listening to phones I'd be perfectly happy with the HRs onboard DAC. It really is superb.

best,

o

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

First off, congrats on the amp -- it's a killer, especially through its balanced outs, where in combo with the HD650s makes for some of the best HP sound I've had.

I haven't done any comparos yet between the Home DAC and the 840c's balanced outs though will try to have a go this weekend. But the Home DAC replaced the Apogee Duet in my system and I think it's excellent, resolving and with a nice ease too -- different from the extreme lucidity of the Duet but just as satisfying to my ears. I think the Home DAC in its balanced config is likely very competitive but I haven't heard many others in the top tier. The 840c is part of my speaker rig -- if I were only listening to phones I'd be perfectly happy with the HRs onboard DAC. It really is superb.

best,

o

That's good to know. I've heard so much raving about the DAC in the 840c that I'd be interested in seeing how you think it fares. Thanks for the info.
Cheers

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

I've not yet used anything but the stock settings for dither, etc.

o

Excuse my ignorance but what does dither actually do and does it improve the sound from the 840c?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back