Questions about Sony NWZ-A844
Mar 15, 2012 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cheezburger

Head-Fier
Hello,
I have got a sudden opportunity to get a new Sony NWZ-A844 for just $100, which I consider a huge bargain. However, I have heard about some downsides of this player, so I'd like to ask a few questions:
1. I suspect that the item is an EU version of the player (plaese correct me if I'm wrong, it was bought from a retailer in Poland) , therefore it has volume limitation. I'm not really a loud listener, but I'm still worried it might be too quiet. Could you please tell me how bad this problem is and will this device be able to make my Brainwavz B2 (40 Ohms impedance, 110dB sensivity) loud enough to use on the bus?
2. I also remember reading about this player having hiss problems on sensitive phones. Will it be a problem with the B2's?
Thanks.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 4
I own the NWZ-A846 (32gb version), and I would say if you only want 8gb of storage there are much better options. The EU version of this walkman series is particularly crippled. The output is weak because of the volume cap. You shouldn't have any problems with low volume with IEMs, but because the output is so low it probably won't be able to drive the multi driver IEMs very well(I'm not familiar with brainwavz). On top of this the line out is garbage, so you can't really use an amp with this player. I stopped using mine because I got frustrated with how I couldn't plug it into my stereo or a sound board and get it to play loud enough out of speakers. 

Head-fier Shigzeo did some RMAA tests I think. You can look up his thread and read the comments. It talks a lot about ouput and volume caps

Now the Sony NWZ-A828, that was a great walkman... 

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
I own the NWZ-A846 (32gb version), and I would say if you only want 8gb of storage there are much better options. The EU version of this walkman series is particularly crippled. The output is weak because of the volume cap. You shouldn't have any problems with low volume with IEMs, but because the output is so low it probably won't be able to drive the multi driver IEMs very well(I'm not familiar with brainwavz). On top of this the line out is garbage, so you can't really use an amp with this player. I stopped using mine because I got frustrated with how I couldn't plug it into my stereo or a sound board and get it to play loud enough out of speakers. 

Head-fier Shigzeo did some RMAA tests I think. You can look up his thread and read the comments. It talks a lot about ouput and volume caps

Now the Sony NWZ-A828, that was a great walkman... 

Thanks for your response, I guess I won't be buying this. The only reason I actually wanted it is the design, in terms of SQ, Sansa Fuze was enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back