Questions about portable amps/dacs with use w/ cellphone
Nov 21, 2016 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

uhhmike

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all -

I currently have a full desktop setup - Mrspeakers Ether open headphone, Schiit DAC, MAD tube amp.

I am trying to figure out the best way to build a portable setup.

Would it be better for me to plug a portable headphone/amp into my cellphone or just buy a hi-res portable player? Or does it not matter and come down to personal preference?

Also, does anyone know if I can plug my desktop DAC/amp combo into my cell phone? I know you can plug either the amp or the dac in, but can i use both from my cellphone - i.e. by using an RCA cable from the amp to phone? Lets say if i plugged an RCA cable from amp to phone while my dac is connected to the amp, would I be using just my amp or both the amp/dac at the same time? Sorry if its a dumb question, I'm not sure how it'd work. 

Also, do you think a portable amp/dac can equal the quality of sound that I can get from my desktop setup, or is it more of a second option? I am curious because if I could get either a really good portable amp/dac or portable hi-res player, I'd probably end up selling my desktop stuff, just because it can be annoying to use - I travel alot and want to hear music at work and etc. 

Any ideas (or recommendations for amps/dacs/players) would be appreciated. I was thinking about trying the newer Oppo HA-2SE amp/dac with my phone. Thanks for any info.

Mike E. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 4
I don't know what phone you have but the Oppo HA2 is both iPhone/Androind even Computer friendly, you only need to attach one cable to your phone or computer. Android is much easier to import you Flac files just drag and drop to your phone. I never own a iPhone but i know you have to do a few things in order to get your phone to play Flac files. I would go for a DAC/AMP but i heard good things about the Questyle QP1R with the Mrspeakers Ether but that's about it, a DAP will struggle with other full size headphone, i think the HA2 has enough power to play any headphone without a problem.

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks. I use android. I stream tidal alot too, so I'd need a dap that can do that and alot of them don't. I think I might try the oppo. I'd like a more portable rig, even if I'm home

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Just one thing, Oppo ship the HA2 SE with a micro to micro usb cable,if you have a newer Android phone with USB Type C cable you will need to a different cable
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Right-Angle-Micro-USB-to-Type-C-OTG-Cable-for-Portable-Digital-DAC-Amplifier-/301996172236

Users who are viewing this thread

Back