Questions about older Headroom products and Crossfeed...
Jun 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

regnaDkciN

New Head-Fier
While I've been an audiophile for many years, I never got much into headphone listening, except as a "last resort." The problem, for me, is that I favor classical music, where soundstaging is more important. The sound of an orchestra compressed into a thin, almost one-dimensional line between my ears has never been appealing to me.

I know Headroom amps are supposed to have a "Crossfeed" function to alleviate this problem. Especially for classical lovers out there, how we'll does it work? Or am I doomed to the "thin line" soundstage when using 'phones regardless

If the former, I have the option to pick up either a used Total Bithead or Total Airhead at a good price. As I understand it, is the only difference between the two that the TBH has a (rather outdated, by today's standards) DAC, while the TAH would require an analog feed? Since I'd be using a better USB DAC if that were the case, it would seem to make sense to me to stick with the TAH. Or does the TBH have improvements even if you bypass the DAC section altogether? Also, are there other comparable products with similar functionality to Crossfeed? Thanks in advance.

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 7
Get a vintage (or newer) stax setup, and I am positive you will be pleasantly surprised.

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 7
this really depends on just how drastic of an effect you have in mind.  higher quality stereo headphones will pull out an impressive soundstage, far more than youd expect having only experienced lesser cans. 

crossfeed circuits are more than just mixing the L and R channels a bit - they actually do so to different degrees depending on frequency (less at high frequencies, more at low), just like speakers naturally do.  the super fancy crossfeed circuits (such as in the SPL amplifiers) even adjust for phase differences to mimic speakers even more. 

if you want a REAL 3D sound experience, however, youre going to need to buy a Realizer.  there's really no way around it. 

Quote:
Are you saying that, without any processing, would give you a three-dimensional soundstage?

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Are you saying that, without any processing, would give you a three-dimensional soundstage?

Nah, not really. At least not like a speaker does it. Crossfeed won't make a big difference either, but it will help in some cases. The best, if you want soundstage, would be binaural music.

I don't know that much about it, but there are crossfeed software (dsp's) for foobar and probably other players too if you want to try it out...

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 7
Yes, I tried a couple yesterday, and they certainly seemed to make a difference, at least with cheap earbuds. I wish the iPhone had a workable crossfeed app, but the only such player they have (Rondo), although adding a sense of space, takes centered vocals and shifts them slightly left-of-center, which makes it a non-starter.

Jun 22, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 7
What headphones do you have now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back