questions about my MS-1 and ...
Dec 16, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #16 of 26
i do like the MS-1 sound. i tried a SR80 (with an amp) before and iloved the sound.

but my MS-1 (i know there should be a diff without an amp) just doesnt seem to be as good as ppl say. maybe i try the senn pads + a cmoy first ...

i tried to compare the PX100 with my MS-1 for pianos, the PX100 is better, should that be the case?

Dec 16, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #17 of 26
It depends on what you are listening for... for example attack, dynamics, soundstage, tonal coloration, etc. differ from one headphone design to another. Your own preferences are the best indicators... but it helps to use a high-quality source for comparisons.

Dec 16, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #18 of 26
I honestly thought my MS-1s were mediocore when I first got them. So I went back to my old three pairs of headphones and listened. The loss of quality going from MS-1s to other headphones had me very disappointed.

Most good sounding speaks and cans don't 'wow' me. They sound normal, and afterwards, anything below sounds unacceptable.. that's how I judge what equipment I get. Listen to your older 'phones before you give up the MS-1s, you may come to appreciate how nice they are.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #19 of 26
My MS-1's have about 24 hours of burn in time with an Airhead 2AA amp and an Apple stand/line-out. I listened to my old Senn. HD-495's with this setup for about an hour before switching to my MS-1's. My god what a difference. The MS-1's flat out blow away my old Senn's. It was like breathing in fresh air. The amp with the line-out really make the difference.

Dec 16, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by microni
i do like the MS-1 sound. i tried a SR80 (with an amp) before and iloved the sound.

but my MS-1 (i know there should be a diff without an amp) just doesnt seem to be as good as ppl say. maybe i try the senn pads + a cmoy first ...

i tried to compare the PX100 with my MS-1 for pianos, the PX100 is better, should that be the case?

If you do end up trying them with a amp of some sort you might want to post your impressions even if they remain unchanged (for my sake
biggrin.gif
). I think an amp would help liven up the lowend, but atm the bass from MS-1 directly out of my soundcard/MP3 player doesn't do anything for me. My AKG K66 had more mid-bass, what a kick in the unmentionables
eek.gif
though I can't stand the sound from it anymore after listening to the MS-1 heh.

Dec 16, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #21 of 26
the line out in the dock was my first eye pop experience with the ipod too - shortly after i bought a sik din, it was SO worth it. even into a cmoy my MS-1 came alive!

Dec 16, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #23 of 26
They seem to be the same thing in a different format. I haven't heard otherwise, so pick whichever one will be more convenient for you. I would be afraid of using the one you listed because of accidently putting pressure up or down while it's in. That might be dangerous.

Dec 16, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonz
They seem to be the same thing in a different format. I haven't heard otherwise, so pick whichever one will be more convenient for you. I would be afraid of using the one you listed because of accidently putting pressure up or down while it's in. That might be dangerous.

any other suggestion other than those two? thanks!

Dec 16, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Unless it's the bass you're missing with the MS1s over the PX100s the answer is no. Line-out + amp might solve that but the PX100s will always have more bass.

But with the comfy pads the MS1s aren't that much more detailed than the PX100s.

Dec 16, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

for the Meier Audio Porta Corda MkII, are they are good for my ipod + MS-1? it's a great deal, but kind of out of my budget since i just spent a lot for my ipod or MS-1. but if they are really good, then maybe i could spent the rest on my money on them ...
another sad thing is that i don't live in the states/europe, but could hopefully get my friends in washington to ship them to me.

could i tell the that much of a difference with the MS-1 + ipod between the Meier Audio Porta Corda MkII and a CMOY?

thanks!!!

I don't know about CMOY but I do like the PC MkII and MS-1 combination. Amping doesn't transform the phones dramatically if you're don't like the way MS-1s sound I doubt amping will help you much.

IMO PC MkII just opens up the sound and adds snap and impact into it. I posted my first impressions to amps forum, you might find them helpful:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97515

Users who are viewing this thread

Back