Questions about mp3gain...
Jan 15, 2005 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Daemos

100+ Head-Fier
I tried searching...and maybe I found the answer but didn't understand it.

Alot of my mp3s have 'clipping' I know that's a bad thing (like it says under clipping Y). Does mp3gain fix that? Or how do you fix/prevent that or what options are needed?

As well..what's better Track Gain, album Gain or Constant Gain?

Also what does the "don't clip when doing track gain" thing mean?

Jan 15, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemos
Alot of my mp3s have 'clipping' I know that's a bad thing (like it says under clipping Y). Does mp3gain fix that? Or how do you fix/prevent that or what options are needed?

yes apparently mp3gain fixes that. 2 sorts of clipping - music inherent and amp caused. mp3gain solves the previous..

Quote:

As well..what's better Track Gain, album Gain or Constant Gain?

depends on your needs.

track gain you use when you want the average volume of EVERY track in an album to be roughly the same. useful if you have a series of songs that are unrelated in every sense. ie individual songs with no 'linking'.

album gain you use when you have an album with differences in volume between the tracks that you WANT to keep, yet lower the TOTAL AVERAGE volume of the ALBUM. say i have a live mix cd of tiesto that keeps clipping at track 8 out of 14. i want to lower the entire album's volume so that i keep this cool effect between track 2 and 3 that is very volume dependent. so i choose album gain.

unfortunately i'm not sure what constant gain is - never used it. sorry!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Also what does the "don't clip when doing track gain" thing mean?

simply means that if your intended volume is HIGHER than the track volume, and high enough that the track will CLIP if mp3gain changes it to your intended volume, it wont.

hope that helps.
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

mp3gain won't exactly 'fix' clipping. if the clipping was introduced in the production stages of the track (which is usually the case these days), then all the data above the point of clipping is lost - permanently. mp3gain won't get it back for you.

what mp3gain will do is help remove the audible distortion that comes from clipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back