Questions about Monster Turbine Pro Gold paired with Cowon J3?
Jan 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

scohen158

Head-Fier
Hello,

This is my first of what I am hoping to be many posts on these forums. I am looking to get a portable music player and quality set of IEM's. Currently I use my Samsung Galaxy S 2 (Tmobile Version) Phone with the PowerAmp application and a pair of the Klipsch Image S4 earphone. I listen to Audio Books but also use my phone and home computer to play a huge variety of Flac files. My music ranges from Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, Rap, Hip Hop, Alternative, Some Classical and Jazz pretty much everything but Country.

The reason I am changing is I want something with better battery life and sound quality as a player then my phone and the Kilipschs are ok but they seem to have a harsh sounds on the high end treble and there is something not quite right for all music types on the low end of the bass side.

So I am looking for a good sounding all around set of IEMs that provide a nice clear sound for all music types with plenty of bass (for when listening to Rap, Techno, Electronic music types) that doesn't get distorted.

For a portable player I would like to ideally have one that natively plays FLAC files has 32 Gigs + of storage and has enough power and sound options to push the headphones I pair with it on its own (for when at work) but if they can sound better with a small amp at home I am open to that option down the road.

So my question is does the Cowon J3 and Monster Turbine Pro Gold's sound like a good match to achieve this? Is there anyone out there that can provide personal experience with this matchup of PMP and IEMs?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 4
Cowon J3 is a wonderful player -- I love it.  Seems you've done homework, because it meets your needs for FLAC files and 32GB storage.  It has plenty of power, and great EQ options, which you may or may not want/need with your FLAC files and full-sounding MTPG phones.

Now the choice of the Monster IEMs might not be popular here, although the upper models like the Pro Gold do seem to get good reviews here and elsewhere, depending on long-term build quality.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply. My main concern I think is that the Monster Turbine Pro Golds sound like they may be a power hungry IEM and I don't really want to have to lug a portable amp or something with me to get good volume and sound out of them. Do you know if they Cowon J3 is capable of pushing them well? I am basically 100% sold on the Cowon J3 however I may buy whichever headphone set I decide on first listen to it with my phone for a bit then get the Cowon J3.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 4
Anyone one else have any insight on this pairing or possibly some suggestions for a good all around IEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back