Questions about monitors and subs
Mar 24, 2011 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Citan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I was looking to spend about $250 on a 2.1 system for my computer but I decided to bump that up to around $500. $300 for the speakers and $200 for the sub(or some other combo if someone has a better idea).  I mainly intend to game and listen to music.  My sound card is an auzentech forte.

With the increased budget there are a great deal more options available, namely the ability to buy a set of active monitors and a sub separately.  However, I am a bit hesitant to go this route because I would like to be able to control the volume of the entire system with one quick simple step(not inside windows). 

I was wondering if it is always the case with active monitors and a sub that the volume controls will need to be handled separately(or only through the windows panel)?  Or is there some combination of monitors and sub from the same company that will allow me to turn one nob to control both?  This and the ability to pull the set out of the box and just have it work is one of the main reasons I am more inclined to get a 2.1 set that has its own controller.  i.e the Swam mw50, edifier s730, .....etc.  The problem is that I keep reading about how a set of monitors and a separate sub would be much better...

On a side note if you have any recommendations for a 2.1 setup for $500 that has an easily accessible volume controller and is not overly large please feel free to give them.

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 7
Active moniters normally have a volume control on the back of each moniter, i have passive moniters and an amp so i have the volume control on the amp right in front of me same as the active moniters i have a volume control pot for each speaker , my sub also has it's own volume control on the back , i like having seperate analog volume controls, analog volume control sounds better than digital (your pc)  because your not loosing bits , and having seperate volume controls means you can play the sub louder than the speakers which i like.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the replies guys! 

@Roseval does than mean I would attach each satellite to the sub and the sub then to the soundcard?  Then I would control the overall sound with the subs control/nob?

@JRG1990 is there some way that they could all be hooked up to one analog controller of some sort? I've read about mixers and such but I really don't know much.

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 7
Hey JRG1990 that NHT PVC looks about perfect.  It has one input and one output, so the input is from the sound card but outputs to an RCA jack.  How would this work, would both monitors connect the sub and the sub to the output on the volume control?

Sorry for all the nubtastic questions but I really dont have a full grasp on how everything will interface and connect, so thanks for your help!

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 7
It depends what sub you get, if you get 1 with a rca in and out , then you connect it up , soundcard > volume control > sub > moniters , if you get a sub that doesn't have a thru-put then i don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back