Questions about living in England
Nov 2, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #17 of 42
I lived in London for 20 years. There are many good restaurants there.
By the way, 55,000 pounds should be okay in Oxford. Just make sure you don't move to London.

Nov 2, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you want lots of tv channels get sky. they have fox news , cnbc which i think are the same as shown in the us. other channels arent i believe, like they have FX Home – FXUK.com

there is a few hundred other channels you will also be able to get through haveing a sky box. mostly hundreds of channels of crap but some may interest you

oh and whatever you do dont get BT as your isp or talk talk.

I'll take a look at Sky. That Freesat seems like it may be a good way to go too, and then, if Apple's subscription TV service comes through, maybe get that for the other shows I can't get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hold on a sec... have you actually ever lived in England? if you haven't I strongly suggest that you do before any final decision.

don't believe the hype, Oxford is a small provincial town with small minded people. good to visit on a w/end break. personally I think you're nuts wanting to come living here. England is a ****hole. ask the Englishmen
frown.gif

Well, I've got a lot of friends who are living in various parts of England and love it, and I've had a quite a few Canadian and American friends who've lived there and enjoyed it. Either way, the dream job is at the University of Oxford, so if I get offered it, then the only way to take it is to move to Oxford (or one of the surrounding towns).

Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You suggest that he live in England before making a final decision about living in England?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would like him to live in England before he decides to live in England?

Both of these made me laugh!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have lived in England twice, though both times were in London. It's a perfectly wonderful place. Many Englishmen seem not to like it, but you'll find that anywhere.

I must admit, it seems odd to refer to the denizens of one of the world's most respected Universities as "smallminded"
smily_headphones1.gif

It seems to me that a lot of people complain about wherever they live. I think it'd be exciting to live in a third country, and a totally different continent. I've never been to Europe, so this seems like a good opportunity to do that, too. The research project is really exciting, the department is really exciting, so all in all, I'd love to have the opportunity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lived right outside london for 7 months.

- bring an umbrella
- the food was horrible

everything else was okay.

I lived in Vancouver for 7 years, so I'm used to the rain. I've heard that the food in England isn't particularly good, and it's expensive- but I love indian food, and that's pretty much the place to live if you want to eat indian food (besides India).

All in all, it'd be exciting, and it'd be a secure job for at least two years, so that's mostly what I care about. My wife is excited about the possibility, and if we're lucky, we can have a baby that's born in the United States (American) to Canadian parents that'll have an English accent!

Nov 3, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #20 of 42
London is not oxford, or like any other small English town. In fact London is probably not England either.
I was gonna suggest you ask a fellow Canadian or American who’s moved to England, but you’ve already done so. good luck

Nov 3, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and if we're lucky, we can have a baby that's born in the United States (American) to Canadian parents that'll have an English accent!

That sounds lovely!

We did something similar. Me and my wife are British but our two kids were born in California so they already have dual-citizenship . My wife insists that the children speak with an English accent at home so they have to switch accents when they talk to their friends.
Me and my wife just got our US passports too so now we travel with 8 passports! Since we use US passports to enter this country and UK ones to enter England, we won't have anymore stamps on them!
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #23 of 42
Don't forget to visit a pie and mash shop and try some jellied eels.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #24 of 42
remember... look right, then left.

i lived in Canterbury and London for a year... had a spectacular time. of course, i was a student, so it was a bit different than your experience would be.

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fish & chips and shepard's pie get old pretty fast. and impossible to find a bagel.

Why would you want a dry bagel when you can have a Cornish Pasty instead? Britain has a lot more to offer than just fish&chips. You are stereotyping and it is not appreciated.

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact London is probably not England either.

True that. I lived in London for a bit and Londoners think London is the centre of the world and the provincials are irrelevant.

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #27 of 42
BEWARE,,,,I know several Canadian's who came over here to go to uni,and never quite got round to going home.One has worked for BBC open university for thirty years.They all joined a Manchester Ice Hockey team, which then proceeded to win everything for years!!
bigsmile_face.gif
. I have a talk talk telephone service,which gives me free broadband and free international calls,24/7 and works fine.There are loads of nice little villages within commuting distance of oxford,and on your salary you could rent whatever you like.
Hope it all works out,Cheers

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #28 of 42
Every American (or more to the point, Frenchman) who mentions the food, I've found to be spending what they believe proper food their way should cost back home.

My friends, that doesn't work over here.

[size=xx-small]OT: This is my 7 years and 1 month anniversary on Head-Fi. Jeez.[/size]

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds lovely!

We did something similar. Me and my wife are British but our two kids were born in California so they already have dual-citizenship . My wife insists that the children speak with an English accent at home so they have to switch accents when they talk to their friends.
Me and my wife just got our US passports too so now we travel with 8 passports! Since we use US passports to enter this country and UK ones to enter England, we won't have anymore stamps on them!
biggrin.gif

Depending on what happens- we'll probably have one child in the US, and then one (or two?) in England. I don't know where I'll go after that, hopefully I'll be able to apply for professor's jobs at that point, but that'll depend in the success of that job, and the economy. I just think it'd be cool that we could have a multi-national incident in one home. The American child and the British child get in a fight and require the Canadian parents (peace keepers) to intervene. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget to visit a pie and mash shop and try some jellied eels.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jellied eels.... sounds delightful. :p I'm sure we'll have lots of time to check many things out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
remember... look right, then left.

i lived in Canterbury and London for a year... had a spectacular time. of course, i was a student, so it was a bit different than your experience would be.

I'll be going over as a postdoctoral researcher- so not quite a student, but not faculty either. In many ways, postdocs have the best of both worlds. We get paid more, and have more responsibility than students, but not as much responsibilities (or pains) as faculty do. It'll be quite exciting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BEWARE,,,,I know several Canadian's who came over here to go to uni,and never quite got round to going home.One has worked for BBC open university for thirty years.They all joined a Manchester Ice Hockey team, which then proceeded to win everything for years!!
bigsmile_face.gif
. I have a talk talk telephone service,which gives me free broadband and free international calls,24/7 and works fine.There are loads of nice little villages within commuting distance of oxford,and on your salary you could rent whatever you like.
Hope it all works out,Cheers

My goal is to be able to get a faculty job at a major Canadian university, but I'd be happy with a major US university too. And since there are a lot more major US universities, that's more likely. But who knows, maybe we'll get over there and just stay. I somehow doubt it though, since my wife's parents live in Vancouver, and my family is in Toronto- and we'd like to be able to see them without it involving a transcontinental flight.

I don't think that anyone would want me on their Ice Hockey Team- I'm terrible. I can skate, but not well enough to play hockey with anyone who has any skill. I'll talk a look into the talk talk service and add that to my notes of stuff for living in England.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every American (or more to the point, Frenchman) who mentions the food, I've found to be spending what they believe proper food their way should cost back home.

I expect things to be a lot more expensive in England than they will be in Canada or the US. In general, I expect that a lot of things will cost a bit more than they would in the US/Canada (i.e. something that is $1 in Canada will be 1 pound in England), although I know that petrol is a lot more expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Salary of £55-£65K, is that before or after tax? If it's after tax, then you'll be fine
smily_headphones1.gif

That'll be before tax. If I have to buy any electronic devices (like computers) I'll probably buy them before we move so I can avoid the VAT as much as possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back