questions about if i should upgrade or not
Jul 1, 2015 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Emmett62

New Head-Fier
is it worth it getting a DAC+AMP if i already have a soundcard + amp. i have the magni 2 uber so i use the preamp rcas for  powered monitors,, but i dont wanna lose any power that im getting what will i sacrifice buy gettin a modi2   dac vs keeping a creative titanium x-fi hd, i plan on getting this card
asus essence stx II sound card if the dac aint worth getting 

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 18
You should be fine without a DAC.

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 18
  Is it worth it getting a DAC+AMP if i already have a sound card + amp. i have the Magni 2 Uber so i use the preamp RCAs for  powered monitors,, but i don't wanna lose any power that I'm getting what will i sacrifice buy getting a Modi2 DAC vs keeping a creative Titanium X-fi HD, I plan on getting this card
Asus Essence STX II sound card if the DAC ain't worth getting 

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Ti-HD (Titanium-HD) sound card.
I would think having the Ti-HD's RCA jacks connected to the Magni 2 Uber's input RCA jacks and have both the studio monitors and headphones connected to the Magni 2 Uber, would be the best setup.
The Ti-HD's RCA outputs, should provide a slightly cleaner analog audio signal, then the Ti-HD's headphone jack.

As you already have the Creative Labs Titanium-HD sound card (and it's nice PCM1794 DAC chip ), I really doubt the Modi 2 would make a noticeable difference.
Unless there is noticeable electrical noise being generated inside the computer case, which would effect the analog audio signal coming from the Ti-HD, the Modi is not really needed.
You might consider replacing the Ti-HD's two I/V slotted op-amps or the even the buffer op-amp, like using TC-99 metal op-amps.

I would think the something like the Schiit Bifrost might be something to consider, if your looking for improving the DAC feature, over the current Ti-HD.
If you got the Bifrost, then there would be no need for replacing the Ti-HD's op-amps.

Can't see the Asus Essence STX II offering any better audio quality, over the current Ti-HD/Magni setup.
Also the Essence STX II can not send headphone surround sound out it's RCA line-outputs jack, where as the Ti-HD can.

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 18
What headphones do you have? Buying a DAC may offer only minute improvement, but upgrading your headphones--depending on what you have--could produce a very noticeable improvement in sound quality.

That being said, if you are determined to upgrade, I agree with Purple Angel. Since already have the Magni 2, I see no benefit in buying the STX II since you already have a headphone amp that is very good. That's a lot of money just to get a better built in DAC.

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 18

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Ti-HD (Titanium-HD) sound card.
I would think having the Ti-HD's RCA jacks connected to the Magni 2 Uber's input RCA jacks and have both the studio monitors and headphones connected to the Magni 2 Uber, would be the best setup.
The Ti-HD's RCA outputs, should provide a slightly cleaner analog audio signal, then the Ti-HD's headphone jack.

As you already have the Creative Labs Titanium-HD sound card (and it's nice PCM1794 DAC chip ), I really doubt the Modi 2 would make a noticeable difference.
Unless there is noticeable electrical noise being generated inside the computer case, which would effect the analog audio signal coming from the Ti-HD, the Modi is not really needed.
You might consider replacing the Ti-HD's two I/V slotted op-amps or the even the buffer op-amp, like using TC-99 metal op-amps.

I would think the something like the Schiit Bifrost might be something to consider, if your looking for improving the DAC feature, over the current Ti-HD.
If you got the Bifrost, then there would be no need for replacing the Ti-HD's op-amps.

Can't see the Asus Essence STX II offering any better audio quality, over the current Ti-HD/Magni setup.
Also the Essence STX II can not send headphone surround sound out it's RCA line-outputs jack, where as the Ti-HD can.

i dont even use any of the surround sound crap for my cards settings ( i just dont like it ) and yes my realtek sound on my mobo is disabled and i have my ti-hd hooked up to my magni via rca cables my other card upgrade was ganna be the creative zxr. need to get rid of the card i got now as it is well dieing i had this card since it came out 

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 18
What headphones do you have? Buying a DAC may offer only minute improvement, but upgrading your headphones--depending on what you have--could produce a very noticeable improvement in sound quality.

That being said, if you are determined to upgrade, I agree with Purple Angel. Since already have the Magni 2, I see no benefit in buying the STX II since you already have a headphone amp that is very good. That's a lot of money just to get a better built in DAC.

the headphones i have is the audio-technica ath-m50x, and the main reason im looking for a new sound card is mine is pretty much dead it works but in a very weird way the sound is just off and gets really hot 

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #10 of 18

This is a good topic for the Computer Audio sub-section of this forum.

um how can i move this thread to there ?

Although you have been a member for almost 2 years, I'm not sure that you yet have enough forum posts to open a thread or post there.

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 18

Although you have been a member for almost 2 years, I'm not sure that you yet have enough forum posts to open a thread or post there.

yeah i kinda forgot my account existed  i went back and read my old posts man was i freaking stupid as hell, thank god i learned alot since then haha 

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 18
  i dont even use any of the surround sound crap for my cards settings ( i just don't like it ) and yes my Realtek sound on my mobo is disabled and i have my Ti-hd hooked up to my Magni via rca cables my other card upgrade was ganna be the creative zxr. need to get rid of the card i got now as it is well dieing i had this card since it came out 

If you really have no need for the surround sound features and the Ti-HD is dieing, I guess replacing the Ti-HD with a Modi makes sense..

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #15 of 18
  forgot to add that i use a antloin mod mic 4.0 that plugs into my 3.5mm card port for mic is their by chance a usb adapter thing for that

I'm sure someone makes a USB adapter with a ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) chip built in.

You might consider getting an Asus Xonar DX sound card (used off eBay, $50-$65).
Comes with a nice CS4398 DAC chip, can easy connect to an external amplifier and I'm guessing it's line-input (for mic) is decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back