Questions About iBasso DX220 - Bluetooth, IOS Devices, and Tidal MQA
Sep 13, 2019 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Galactician

New Head-Fier
I purchased a DX220 for 4 purposes: Tidal MQA support, playing my collection on the road (with sweet headphones), as a Bluetooth receiver for my home hi-fi system, and as a mobile DAC for a computer.

So far so good! Mostly.

I do have a few noob questions I am hoping to get some help on:
  1. Streaming Tidal from my iPad Pro to the DX220, I never see any greater than 44.1kHz with Master tracks. I have tried all the Bluetooth combos in the developer options to no effect. Of course Tidal streams at full kHz just fine on the DX220 itself (and it sounds AMAZING), but I desire the ability to control remotely.
  2. Speaking of developer options, some of them stick, some of them don't. When I switch the Bluetooth Audio Codec, or Playback Quality, or Sample Rate -- then exit Options and come back -- I find everything has reverted back to default. Is that normal behavior?
  3. My iPad gets kicked off the DX220 after a time when I am not streaming. This means I need to go over to the DX220, unlock it, then reconnect on my iPad through its Bluetooth settings. Not the end of the world, but not something I want to have to do repeatedly either. The only thing I could think to try was to turn sleep off in system settings, but that didn't help.
Thanks in advance for any light that can be shed!

None of these are show-stoppers, but it would be cool if I could utilize the device as a Bluetooth audio receiver as advertised.

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks, @PaganDL! I have seen that mega-thread and wasn't sure if I should hijack it or not. I will head on over there. :)

No problem, @Galactician,

Happy to help.

Nothing wrong with putting your query in the proper threads, generally you get help faster & direct contact with manufacturers too which helps immensely.

Hope you have a great day !

Sep 16, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 5
Just in case anyone is searching for answers regarding MQA support on the dx220 in Bluetooth receive mode, I got my answer in the other thread noted above...

Regardless of send device (IOS, Android, and so on), the dx220 only receives in SBC, meaning that it will never receive above 48K.

Here is the direct quote from @Paul - iBasso:

This is what the DX220 will do in BT:

send: SBC, AAC, aptX, LDAC, LDAC is 24/96

receive: SBC only. 16/48.

Bummer.

I want to thank @Jester0fTortuga for responding so quick when I posed the question in the aforementioned mega-thread. Sounds like he did some serious legwork ahead of me to get to the answer.

Thanks to @Paul - iBasso as well for confirming it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back