Questions about headphones and mic for PS4
Dec 13, 2016 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Optos

New Head-Fier
Yes, I have read the video game guide to headphones at the beginning of this forum and I've tried to search through here to answer a lot my own questions but just need some more details.

I have been using the PS4 Gold Wireless headphones for a couple of years now and know they are not the best.  I am looking to upgrade to a better sounding headphone with an external mic to use on my PS4.  After reading the video game headphone guide, I am looking at the AKG K712 Pro or the Philips X2/27 headphones.  I also have Audio Technica M50's that I use for music and I love them so you guys understand what sound signature I like (I just don't want closed back for games).

My questions:

1) AKG or Philips headphones?

2) How do I hook up ONLY an amplifier to the PS4 along with the microphone.  Every setup diagram I've seen uses a surround decoder (mixamp, X7, etc.).  If I don't want to use one of these, how do I use the amp and also have the microphone working?  The amp I am looking at is the Asgard 2 from Schiit and only has RCA inputs.  Do I use a Y splitter into the dualshock 4 controller with the mic going to one, and then a 3.5mm to RCA splitter on the other that will hook up the amp?  I'm just confused on how to work this with an amplifier and still have the microphone working.

3) Do I need a DAC along with the amplifier?

4) If I do need a DAC, is there a combo DAC/amp that you suggest that will work with the above headphones and the PS4 that will still allow me to use the microphone?

Thanks for any help!

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm going to guess you can connect a USB microphone to the PS4?

So if your Ok gaming in stereo audio (no headphone surround sound), then you can connect an (optical input) DAC to the PS4.
So you could use a Hifimediy optical DAC ($59+ $8 shipping) and maybe some Sennheiser HD558 headphones (used, $70+).
Then get whatever USB microphone you might like.

I'm guessing the Hifimediy optical DAC can decently drive the 50-Ohm Sennheiser HD558 headphones,
otherwise you can spend $60 for a FiiO A3 (E11K) headphone amplifier, $60.
Or more then $60 for a head amp of your choice.

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 5
What kind of mic are we talking about here? If you want to use something like a Mod Mic, then yes it will work just fine, BUT you need one of these (or similar) for the MIC.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR2USB-3-5mm-Adapter/dp/B00I6ILPPC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1482045848&sr=8-11&keywords=usb+audio+adapter

If youre using a desktop mic with a USB plug it will also work just plugged directly into the PS4 USB port.

Either way will work, but you will have to reconfigure the input and output device in the PS4 settings.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the help. Ya plugging in a schiit stack with optical cable works perfect. Didn't have to set anything up on the ps4. Plug and play. The lapel usb mic I got only works on the back usb port, it didn't work in either front port. A usb extender fixed that problem. Loving my new akg 712 pro headphones for gaming. Sweet setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back