Questions about Grados?
Sep 20, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #31 of 57
So should I get the Alessandro MS1i's or should I consider some other brand? Denon? AKG?

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #32 of 57
Forget the 225 and go for the 125 or MS1.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I was looking at the HD414 mods. Which give you less sound leak? The bowls?

For the record, pads doesn't affect the sound leakage in any way, shape or form. Whether it's comfies, bowls, flats, jumbos or HD414, the sound will leak out where the back of transducer mesh is.

The principle behind this is that as plastic diaphragm (the driver itself) moves, it pushes air at different frequency, generating what we call sound. Here's the catch: air will be pushed from the front, and the back (we call them back wave) of the diaphragm; so more or less the same amount of sound will be generated from both ends of the diaphragm.

Closed back headphones isolates your music from the outside world, good designs will incorporate back wave dampening or reflection, so you won't hear any echoes (but note that sound travels at 340+ meters/second depending on temperature, back wave reflections aren't usually much of a problem for headphones anyways, since there's almost no lag/delay could be heard at such a small distance). Back wave resonance can sometimes cause a congested feel (in my case), but your milage may vary.

Open backed headphones takes "advantage" of this principle and flushes all the back wave sound out the other end, thus creating what we call "leakage". This design creates a much airier and spacious sound because there's zero back wave reflections, but the usual drawback is that it loses some bass energy/impact. If someone were to put their ear next to the open mesh behind the headphone, they will hear the same loudness. The disadvantage of this design is that it provides close to zero isolation, sound from outside the headphone will leak into your music, and your music will leak out for others to hear.

I think, for open backed headphones, the length and density of the cup may affect the sound, which explains why some people report the "woodied" Grado sound better than stock (most people doesn't follow the exact dimension when woodying their Grados) . Other more knowledgeable Head-Fiers can chime in on this (I may be wrong, but hey, scientifically, it makes senses).

As to whether to get the SR80 or SR125, I'd say get the Alessandro MS1. It definitely trumps the SR80 for $10 more, and competes aggressively with the SR125 for $50 less. Probably the best bang-for-buck lower end entry level Grado ever manufactured. But most definitely, if budget allows, get the SR225, it's got better treble and bass extension from better matched tolerance, more open metallic mesh (versus the plastic mesh on the SR125) for a more open sound, and definitely less shrilling/ear piercing compared to the SR325 (but the SR325 have leather headband (more comfy) and aluminum cups (possibly better dampening compared to plastic)! Grado's evil..).

Of course, you can buy the SR125 or MS1 and start modifying the headphone. If the headphones are properly kept and taken care of, you can even remove the cup and mesh for an ultimate open backed sound!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #34 of 57
i think that if you like intensity in ur music you cant go wrong with grados.

i think that testing the house sound is out is very important so i would recommend starting with a lower end models maybe even used so i am thinking the sr80 or ms1. also they will be uncomfortable at first but over time the pads will soften up

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd also say the 225i's are a big step up from the 125's for only $50 more. I listened to the whole Grado line at ListenUp and chose the 225's. The stock bowls are pretty uncomfortable, though people say they eventually break in and get better. I am using HD414 pads, which fit Grados perfectly and are soft and comfortable.

I really prefer an amp, and never listen without one. Though the 225i's have pretty good synergy with the Icon Mobile, which is only $70 as a refurb.

After reading this, as well as another, but older, thread comparing the line of Grado's, the SR225 seems to be the Grado of choice for unamp'd use.

Sep 20, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #36 of 57
I had pretty much the exact same questions you had and picked up the 80's at a good price and love the heck out of the headphones. I find myself having more fun with the music through those headphones than anything else in my admittedly small collection.

I may at some point go to the MS1i or 225 just to check it out, but I can tell you I had the same concerns as you do now, and I couldnt be happier than my 80's.

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #37 of 57
Well. I think I have decide on the MS1i. Does re-cabling them actually help? Sound quality wise?

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #38 of 57
I wouldn't count on it being of help unless you have really sensitive ears.

You can make great differences to sound by changing your cans, your source and your amp. Interconnects and cables may offer a subtle change but not all the time. The thing with these cable changes are the usual high costs relative to the returns.

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #39 of 57
i'm using a set of SR80 for portable use with a corda headsix amp, my music is 60 % classical , and 40 % jazz, that sounds good on the Grado.
And the comfort is fine, no problems (even with my glasses on)

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #40 of 57
I would love to test these out but no where around here sells them...

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #41 of 57
Do changing the cups like to the wood ones make a difference in sound quality? Or is it just for looks?

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #42 of 57
I started with the sr80i's and I love them. I've read all over that they go well with a cmoy amp so I just recently bought one and am waiting for it to arrive. For the money spent I'm extremely pleased.

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #43 of 57
Hi,

I'd really urge you to use an amp with any Grado. I've had 4 different Grados and 3 different amps and each of them vastly improves when amped. So much so that I can't listen to them straight from my iPod now.

I personally had the Total Airhead and liked it. But there are others in the $100 range that would work equally well. And there are very portable ones that are easy to bring with you. IBasso and the TAH can be tethered to your iPod.

Before I used am amp on my (then) SR-80 I liked the sound quality. They sounded great. You can read my review in my sig. But using an amp was/is far superior.

I just had to add my few nickel's worth.

Thanks,

Ross

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #44 of 57
At the risk of repeating something better said by someone else, I'd actually tell you to go cheap and get the SR-60i. The real coup in buying Grados is the open-air design, which cuts down on resonance and cleans up the sound. There are lots of bells and whistles past that, but for me, the open-air design is the cheap benefit of buying a Grado. I own the RS-1 and the GS-1000 (and until recently, I owned the SR-325i) but my SR-60s sound great, especially with the back off (I got rid of the back and superglued the headband prongs to my doughnuts). I'm not saying my modded SR-60s are the equivalent of an RS-1, but if you're buying Grados for the first time, why spend more than you need to?

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #45 of 57
I recomend you try personally sr60i or sr125i (or ms1i). Both are pretty good from low source. Player amp3 could be good choice for poorer wallet. I have good experience with Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro they have also nice attack and are lighter, it is fun as well and very comfortable headphone if you find them from second hand you could consider them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back