Questions about Grado ra1/rs1/gs1000
May 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #16 of 27
I owned the RS-1 and GS-1000 and compared them as much as possible. The GS-1000 was superior for me. It doesn't have the slap you upside the head kind of feeling that the RS-1 has with rock, but jazz and blues fits it very well.

That being said, I think you should go with the RS-1. It would be more flexible with and ipod and amping. The GS-1000 still sounds good when plugged into and ipod but as fatcat28037 said, it really requires a lot of power.

May 11, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #17 of 27
I'm very happy with the GS1000.I would have never considered it if I didn't have a good source in that of the the Rega Saturn and my amp being the Yarland P100 tube amp.The other kicker is I listen to contemporary jazz only.

May 11, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #18 of 27
All good advice - thanks to all. My budget will not allow me to invest in new headphones, amp and source all at once. I will probably need to do 2-3 purchases over 2-3 months. Given that - would you guys recommend me to start with amp/source or headphones?
And has anyone an opinion if the RS1i is indeed an improvement over RS1 (I know there are serveral versions of this one too).

May 11, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #21 of 27
You schould make your mind first, imo. If we are going to rebuild the whole situation again, you will get more confused and frustrated, cos you will realise that the funds you had in mind in the beginning are simply become double, at least, imo.
If I were you I would take step by step, not like 2-3 month, but like 1 year plan, so you can start with something more logical at this point, which I think would be RS1 + portable amp. After a while you will have more flexible funds for next step, step which will give you the real upgrade feeling. Take more time and dont rush.

Quote:

Originally Posted by perca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All good advice - thanks to all. My budget will not allow me to invest in new headphones, amp and source all at once. I will probably need to do 2-3 purchases over 2-3 months. Given that - would you guys recommend me to start with amp/source or headphones?
And has anyone an opinion if the RS1i is indeed an improvement over RS1 (I know there are serveral versions of this one too).

May 12, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #22 of 27
This is all good advice...

Just keep in mind that until you do finally invest in a source and amp that match the RS-1s well, you may not be as pleased with their sound, as you will be when you do have a good match. Their sound may be a bit bright, and sometimes almost harsh with some music. And their soundstage may not be as big.

But... you will be pleasantly rewarded, if you have the patience to wait, until you do have a matching set up. Any harsh highs disappear, and the soundstage increases quite a lot.

If you want to invest in much less expensive phones, until you can afford a matching set up, and then upgrade to the RS-1s - get the SR225s they sound almost identical to the RS-1s, at a fraction of the price! They're also great phones.

May 12, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #23 of 27
Much good advice here. Thanks a bunch to you all
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

...until you do finally invest in a source and amp that match the RS-1s well, you may not be as pleased with their sound, as you will be when you do have a good match. Their sound may be a bit bright, and sometimes almost harsh with some music. And their soundstage may not be as big.

As an owner of the rs-1 as well as some nice sources and amps I will say that your comments describe the sound of the rs-1. They don't have a lot of sound stage, they are a bit bright and on a bad recording the brightness can make listening painful.

This isn't a criticism, but a 'bit bright and small sound stage' is part of their sound signature.

If you want smooth, laid back, or large sound stage these are the wrong phones.

May 12, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As an owner of the rs-1 as well as some nice sources and amps I will say that your comments describe the sound of the rs-1. They don't have a lot of sound stage, they are a bit bright and on a bad recording the brightness can make listening painful.

This isn't a criticism, but a 'bit bright and small sound stage' is part of their sound signature.

If you want smooth, laid back, or large sound stage these are the wrong phones.

Though, I realize that's their common reputation - that's not my experience at all.

With the right set up they do have a fairly decent soundstage, and they're highs are not harsh, except, perhaps, on rare occasions with some recordings (though, I suppose if you're using them for "metal" they could be harsh).

I wouldn't describe their soundstage as "big" as say... the 701s. But... it is bigger and more spacious, with better separation and placement, than when they're new, and with other set ups, which may not match them as well.

If they're matched to their source and amp, they are much better than they can seem with a poorly matching set up. They also are more "mellow" if they're fully burnt in, and their bowl pads have the "tape mod."

May 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #26 of 27
The RS1 soundstage is not very wide, but pretty deep. Plenty of air and decay between the notes which I like too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Agree with Blackmore on the point that there's no point rushing to upgrade. If you make a mistake it's going to cost you more.

May 12, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #27 of 27
Thanks to all who gave their opinion. After reading more reviews on some of the suggestions + other threads in this forum and elsewhere, I've decided to follow Blackmores advice and go for RS-1 + Go-Vibe Magnum or Vulcan VB as my first buy. Anyone had some experience with this combination, and especially about Magnum vs Vulcan with RS-1(i)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back