Questions about Grado HP Signature Headphones
Jul 10, 2001 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

Joseph

New Head-Fier
Hi, there,

There is a classified on audiogon with a combo of HPA-2 Reference Headphone Amplifier and HP-2 Reference Headphones. Anyone has any experience with these products? How is the HPA-2 compared with RA-1? What's the difference between HP-1 and HP-2? How are they compared with RS-1 and RS-2?

Thanx.

Jul 10, 2001 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 91
By the time you get your answers they will be long gone. Probably purchased by Joe(Grado)longwood.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2001 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 91
Joe, good luck! it's really nice that one of the head-fi/headwizers can get the combo. Pls give us a review and post some pics after you get them.

I really want to have a taste of the HPs, however, it's a little above my budget for now (A combo of RS-1 and RA-1 almost drained my bank account).
frown.gif
mad.gif
confused.gif

Hey, Joe, if you are selling one of your HPs after get the combo, pls let me know in advance.
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2001 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 91
Quote:

check out the pic of the hp-1000s at ebay
I wonder how much these will go for.

Well, Andy, the last pair that I know of on e-bay went for $676.00.........more than a bit high, I think.

But for anyone considering buying RS-1s for over $500, I would strongly recommend looking into the HP-1s. To my ears, they are sonically superior to the RS-1s......they are simply more musical. And as far as build quality goes, there is absolutely no comparison. The RS-1s seem delicate, while the HP-1s exude strength and durability.......no plastic to be found anywhere!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2001 at 5:31 AM Post #15 of 91
Sorry to hear that.
frown.gif

But, it's not like you really needed them.
wink.gif

BTW, the RA-1 and the HPA-2 sound exactly the same, no difference in sound, only in looks and built.

The HP-1 and HP-2 are the same, expect for the switches. However, their were HP-2's made with ultra high end headphone cables that are a big improvement over the old ones. As far as I know, I don't think that any HP-1's were made with this cable (what does your cable say?). So the HP-2 w/ this newer cable (which, btw is not the same thing as the cables that grado uses now) sound better than the HP-1's.

However, on the other hand, the HP-1's are still Worth more money, because they are more rare, since their are two different kinds of HP-2's and more were made than the HP-1's.

However, the HP-3 is even more rare than the HP-1, but they only have 85% of the sound of the HP-1's (which is a lot in Hi-Fi terms), so not as many people want them, so they are worth less money than the other two.

...and there you have it!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back