questions about grado grills....
Jul 7, 2009 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bananaman22

Head-Fier
hey guys
smily_headphones1.gif

as it is on all grado's, my sr-80is have this grill thing on the back that lets air out(hence the name open headphones)

i was just wondering if i should cover these headphones when not in use.....would it do any harm if dust or sumthin got in there....i haven't had any trouble, but i was wondering what i should do.

so, leave it uncovered on my head/stand or cover when on my stand and not in use?

help appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 12
If some dust or a hair gets in there it's possible to get a little rattle. I've never witnessed it myself, but I've seen many posts on here about it.

I usually keep mine in a drawer or on a stand and haven't had any problems.

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 12
The grattle comes from hair going into the front side of the drivers, not the back.

OP, if you are letting your cans sit for a long period of time, I would cover them to keep dust off in general, but you shouldn't have much to worry about if they are your day to day cans.

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 12
I keep my MS1 in an old (clean) toiletries type pouch, in a drawer when not in use -- which is almost every day -- but I don't mind the hassle in order to protect them from curious kids, dust, etc.

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bananaman22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alright then, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW: if dust/hair/grass/wool/string/whatever gets in the driver housing (thing that holds driver), is it possible to get it out?

I get the grattle almost on a daily basis, and it's always a hair that has found its way through the grille. To fix the grattle I just hold the cup upside down and blow gently through the grille.

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 12
Same here. It comes and goes, and is my fault for having long hair. It goes away. There are some people that claim you basically have to rebuild the phones, I disagree unless they had a vastly different problem.

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Luckily I am bold and no hair to get in touch with the Grado drivers... So no rattling for me..

A bald head is a "Borned Head-Fier"

Ah, but what about the hair growing out of your ears?
biggrin.gif

Some say that you don't actually lose hair, it just migrates.

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to the dry cleaners by my house I had a cover made for all of my headphones.
It was inexpensive and keeps out all of the dust.

dscn0895small.jpg

94130002go5small.jpg

You have some serious paraphernalia, sir. I'm duty-bound to confiscate some of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back