Questions about Grado comfort.
Sep 12, 2012 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Supertoaster

500+ Head-Fier
I was thinking of buying a pair of either the SR60i or the SR80i since they seem to have the sound I'm looking for but my big concern about them is the comfort which I heard has some rly bad issues. I heard that the main issues are the clamping pressure and the pads. Are there any ways to remedy this so I can make them super comfortable for long periods of times? Pad reccomendations? etc?

thanks!

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 17
The clamping shouldn't ever be a huge problem for anyone as the metal headband is designed to be stretched or bent by the user until they are satisfied with the clamping force, but out of the box, the clamping pressure is very high. This can however become a balancing act between "this is comfortable" and "why won't it stay on my head anymore", which might get annoying.

Regarding the earpads, I have rather small ears, so the donut pads (on my RS2i), despite being supra-aural, actually behave like circumaural pads on my head, which is personally a massive bonus. Those with larger ears don't experience this joy... in fact quite the opposite. If you have small ears it might be worth simply buying the upgrade pads and putting them onto the sr60/80.

In the 'Grado Mods' thread there are quite a few pad mods with varying sizes, sock covers, pads from other brands etc, but the most common advice is to wash the foam pads as that softens them up a bit. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
I was thinking of buying a pair of either the SR60i or the SR80i since they seem to have the sound I'm looking for but my big concern about them is the comfort which I heard has some rly bad issues. I heard that the main issues are the clamping pressure and the pads. Are there any ways to remedy this so I can make them super comfortable for long periods of times? Pad reccomendations? etc?

thanks!

Heya,

They don't have clamping pressure. Not an issue. Never even heard that.

The on-ear pressure however is quite real. I can't wear Grados for too long, without a sharp pain on the ears. They sound great. But they just hurt to wear because all the weight ends up pressing into your ears, and the pads themselves are rough so they just don't feel great over time. For comfort, a lot of people wrap socks or other cloth around them to make them more comfy; or get different pads all together. I can't do that because it just looks silly to me, so Grado is a short session only type headphone in my case.

Very best,

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 17
The "manual" (single page insert) that comes with all Grado headphones explains that if the cans fit "tight" - gently stretch them out. Normally BNIB Grados are a bit tight for my big head, so I slightly stretch them out, and it's a non issue then and they fit very well (and I don't mean "deformed" like you see people bending the ATH-W5000 to fit, it's very slight). IMHO they're quite comfortable headphones, but that's me. :xf_eek:

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 17
The only true circumaural pads are the bagels off of the GS-1000 and PS-1000; they change the sound dramatically. The GS-1000 and PS-1000 are designed with those pads in mind (based on the GS-1000 design), while everything else is designed with the bowls in mind, until you go back far enough to find flats. Comfies are another option (that's what the SR-60 and SR-80 will come with out of the box), they don't sound as good imho, but they are probably less offensive to most people (I think they're annoying but the bowls are comfortable imho - I do know that the more you wear them, the more comfortable they get).

I have no idea about the HD 414 pads.

My personal take on it is either Grados work for you or they don't - and that's basically the entire package. There's no "wrong" either way. :)

You can buy the bowls or bagels as replacement parts from various sources - I want to say the bowls are like $30-ish a pair, and the bagels closer to $50.

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 17
The HD 414 pads are softer and scratch less, but you can gently wash the stock SR60/SR80 comfies to remove some of the itchiness. The yellow color is goofy looking, but there's a seller on Ebay by the name of shrikepc who will sell you dyed pairs for about $20.

I've found that I can use bowls as circumaurals if I sit them on the tops of my ears and tuck in my earlobes. While still not as comfy as a Sennheiser or Beyer, I can get 2-3 hours a session out of my HF2. The bagels are generally not recommended around here unless you own a PS1000 or GS1000, which were tuned for the bigger pads. I've found that they cause the bass to roll off and the highs to become overemphasized on my HF2.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. How comfy are those yellow pads I see on Amzazon? Where can I get the pads that make them.act like a circumaural?

They're called Headphile C-pads, which are a wood adapter that connects Beyer DT770 pads onto Grados.
They are real comfortable - almost as comfy as DT770's, except the cup is not as deep, so my helix (top part of upper ear) slightly touches the inside of the headphone.

They sell new for some serious coin, but I found a used pair heavily discounted in the for-sale forums a while back.
I never A-B tested them to stock pads, so I can't comment on how sound is effected, if at all. But my 225i's sound great with the C-pads on.

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 17
The 414 pads with the reverse quarter pad were much better for me than the stock pads on my SR60i.  But even with them, the sound is a bit bright. 

I finally made my own pads and did the sock mod, which is both comfortable and has slightly darker sound.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 17
I have the SR80i's. They were probably the most comfortable headphones Ive had out of the box compared to the others. With my Shure's I had to clamp them on the box on the longest width to get them to loosen up.

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Bee,
Serious coin is an understatement. The Headphile mod costs more than the SR-225 does - they start at $250 and go up from there.
eek.gif

...and this is a good example of why we continually say: "sorry about your wallet"
smile_phones.gif

I found an older version of used C-pads for under $100, and am real happy with the added comfort. I can now wear my Grados without any ear pain, which I experienced with the stock pads after 20 minutes of use. Adding a Beyer headband, the Headphile mod, and new DT 770 black velour pads to the SR-225s makes them a fantastic can (sonically and comfort-wise) for ~$350.

edit: I first tried the HD414 reverse quarter mod, and then the sock mod, but they didn't feel right to me.

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #13 of 17
My SR325is are good with clamping pressure but they earpads become annoying if I use them for long periods of time. I find myself having to switch to speakers/other headphone for 10-15 mins to get a break.

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 17
...and this is a good example of why we continually say: "sorry about your wallet" :smile_phones:

I found an older version of used C-pads for under $100, and am real happy with the added comfort. I can now wear my Grados without any ear pain, which I experienced with the stock pads after 20 minutes of use. Adding a Beyer headband, the Headphile mod, and new DT 770 black velour pads to the SR-225s makes them a fantastic can (sonically and comfort-wise) for ~$350.

edit: I first tried the HD414 reverse quarter mod, and then the sock mod, but they didn't feel right to me.

See, I'm weird - I think the bowls are fine as long as you give them some on-head break-in (they "uptake" the oils from your skin and it softens them). Right out of the box they're a little stiff, but 6-7 hours of use (which is like one listening session) and they're fine. Much faster break-in period than the lambskin on my ATs.

If I were going to go mod-pads, I'd probably try bagels before $250+ C-pads. It's more reversible and less insanely priced. :xf_eek:

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #15 of 17
There is no concern at all with comfort on the 60s or 80s. It's way, way, way overblown. There is very little clamping pressure at all, to the degree that it's not even noticeable, IMO. They are super light, and the pads don't put pressure on certain parts of your ear the same way the L-cush pads would on the 325s, 500s, etc. (I happen to have no comfort issues with those either, but its more understandable than someone saying the 60s and/or 80s aren't comfortable.) Just throw the pads in with the wash if you find them to be scratchy and you're good to go. My 80s are ridiculously comfortable and I truly cannot imagine anyone putting them on their head and going "owww". 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back