Questions about fit of Shure Olives
Jan 3, 2010 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

galaxygrrl

Head-Fier
Hi all!

I was lucky enough to get a pair of Shure's SE530's for Christmas! Yay for the rents!

Anyway, so I've been playing around with the ear tips. I'm 5'3 and pretty petite. So the medium olives fit well and sound great, but, I can definitely hear outside sounds with them when no music is playing or I'm listening to a book. Then, I put in the large and I can't hear any outside noise, the sound great too.

I find it hard to believe that I need the large ones, but I was not quite sure how they are suppose to fit and what external sound I'm suppose to hear when the iPod is off.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 8
Just use whichever you feel comfortable. There are no hard and fast rules about the fit
regular_smile .gif

Use the large olives in extremely noisy places (like on a flight) for maximum isolation and the medium ones where noise is not so much of a problem.

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 8
Umm might I just ask something? In what way does your height affect your ears? I'm 5'6" and I had to use the small olives with my SE110s. Anything bigger than small would hurt my ear canals as if they were being ripped apart.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 8
Wrong section of the forum
wink.gif
. Anyway, use whichever feels comfortable to you. We do now want you damaging your ear canals in anyway. I use comply and dislike them, I cannot get a good fit for my left ear canal. With my right, I can move it around (i use small comply) and it will not affect sound. With my left ear canal, I can move the comply tip (with westone um3x) around a bit and push it into my canal further and it takes mea while to get a good fit. I think I need to try the shure olives. They are just so expensive and i am unsure of if i need medium or small
frown.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 8
No tips provide 100% isolation. The idea is to reduce loud noises to the equivalent of normal background noise. That way you can listen at your normal listening levels. I listen at pretty low levels and I find the isolation provided by Shure olives and Comply tips to be adequate in all but the loudest environments, such as planes. They're good enough on planes as long as I don't listen to quiet music, although you won't be doing any quality listening.

I use small Comply tips for my IEMs that go far into my ear. Any larger and I get more isolation, but I also get pain after about 20 minutes.

With Shure tips, I use a small tip in my left ear and medium in my right ear for IEMs that go far into my ear. I use large tips with my UM1 because they just barely go into my ear canal. Comply tips don't seal with my UM1 at all. Shure tips are also less comfortable than Comply tips, although they last longer. When my allergies are acting up, I can't use Shure tips at all because they cause pain.

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wrong section of the forum
wink.gif
. (

I know, I know I realized I made a mistake after I posted and could not figure out how to move it.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm might I just ask something? In what way does your height affect your ears? I'm 5'6" and I had to use the small olives with my SE110s. Anything bigger than small would hurt my ear canals as if they were being ripped apart.

Well, I thought about that before I posted, but I don't take a large in anything, hats, gloves, shoes, clothes, etc. So if taller people have bigger hands, head, etc, don't you think that would be true for ear size?

Thank you everyone for your help. This was helpful and constructive. Happy New Year.

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm 5'7 and I use small olives... even for drumming. It's louder than airplanes....
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back