Questions about EMU 0404
Dec 28, 2005 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mandea

New Head-Fier
I'd like to change my soundcard. I have an a2+kenwood 4020 amp+ a pair of monitor audio bronze b2 and I'm not very satisfied. I have read many threads on this forum about emu 0404 but I still have a few questions to ask:

1. To connect emu 0404 to my amp through 2*RCA I need a special cable, right? Something like 2*jack 1/4"->2*RCA?
2. I have a leadtek expert tv tuner and it is connected to a2 internally, through its auxiliary input (or output whatever). Will I still be able to use my tv tuner? (I can't keep my a2, I only have 3 pci slots on my asus p5 gd1 and they are all taken)
3. If I get an EMU 0404 will I sense a great change in sound given my current setup ?

Dec 29, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandea
1. To connect emu 0404 to my amp through 2*RCA I need a special cable, right? Something like 2*jack 1/4"->2*RCA?

pick up a couple of these
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
and your golden

Quote:

2. I have a leadtek expert tv tuner and it is connected to a2 internally, through its auxiliary input (or output whatever). Will I still be able to use my tv tuner? (I can't keep my a2, I only have 3 pci slots on my asus p5 gd1 and they are all taken)

I don't believe so, i'm 90% sure all the E-MU's ins and outs are through all the mess of cables coming out of the back.

Quote:

3. If I get an EMU 0404 will I sense a great change in sound given my current setup ?

Your monitors are very decent, better than what most have on this forum.

I'd say with the quality of audio your monitors put out, it's a noticable difference. I went from the A2 > EMU, i have no regrets, it sounded better top to bottom, but the difference wasnt a "great change". If the EMU is the best sound quality wise, i can tell you that all the other cards your considering aren't going to give you a "great change" either, but i really think it's your best choice. If your TV tuner has digital or analog out, you can route that to the EMU's many inputs outside of the PC. So you shouldn't have to sacrafice anything by going to the EMU, besides your EAX support.

Best of luck in your hunt,

-Joe

Dec 29, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 8
Thank you for your answers. Yes, I did some searching and I can't connect my tv tuner tu EMU.the tuner can only be connected internally.
But I have another question, can I link the EMU tu mu a2, so that I don't lose anything (I will have to change my 6600gt pci-e with arctic cooling which is occupying an empty PCI slot but I'm npt too much into gaming anyway) ?

Dec 30, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 8
You could run the line out of your A2 to the analog line in of the E-MU 0404.

Dec 31, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 8
the problem with the A2 is that it's almost _always_ losing something.

Running the A2 + emu is a good combo. You use the digital out cable you got with your A2 and run it to the spdif in on the EMU. Then you set your windows primary soundcard to the A2, then for apps you want to use w/ the EMU, like foobar/winamp/media players in their preferences/options you just select the EMU instead of the defaut sound device (A2)

That way games/everything will default to your A2, and so will your TV tuner, and you can pass through everything to the EMU for it's DAC. For audio where you really care about the fidelity, just have the program output directly to the EMU since it wont have to be resampled in the A2.

-Joe

Dec 31, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm getting one of these in the near future (just need to cash in my Christmas money and I'm set). My question is whether the RCA outputs in the picture are analog or digital. Basically, am I going to be using the 1/4" outputs?

Jan 1, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Basically, am I going to be using the 1/4" outputs?

Yes. (You could also get another breakout with RCA outs, of course.)

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erukian
the problem with the A2 is that it's almost _always_ losing something.

Running the A2 + emu is a good combo. You use the digital out cable you got with your A2 and run it to the spdif in on the EMU. Then you set your windows primary soundcard to the A2, then for apps you want to use w/ the EMU, like foobar/winamp/media players in their preferences/options you just select the EMU instead of the defaut sound device (A2)

That way games/everything will default to your A2, and so will your TV tuner, and you can pass through everything to the EMU for it's DAC. For audio where you really care about the fidelity, just have the program output directly to the EMU since it wont have to be resampled in the A2.

-Joe

unfortunatelly I cannot do this because I don't have enough free PCI slots

Users who are viewing this thread

Back