Questions about DACs and amps
Apr 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sniperwill0

Head-Fier
Hey guys. I've been reading through the forums and can't seem to find a definitive answer. How does a DAC affect sound quality? I've heard people saying that one should invest in a good DAC, but don't exactly explain why. What defines a 'good' DAC? 

Also, DACs and amps aren't sold as combos all the time are they (e.g. FiiO E10)? They can be sold separately right? If so, are both required to listen to music off a computer?  Thanks!

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Hey guys. I've been reading through the forums and can't seem to find a definitive answer. How does a DAC affect sound quality? I've heard people saying that one should invest in a good DAC, but don't exactly explain why. What defines a 'good' DAC? 

Also, DACs and amps aren't sold as combos all the time are they (e.g. FiiO E10)? They can be sold separately right? If so, are both required to listen to music off a computer?  Thanks!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/446876/difference-in-chips-what-makes-a-good-dac-a-good-dac

2nd page has big bird in it :>

Yes, DACs and amps aren't always sold in combos. Think its something about interference and having a lot of something (signals (?) or wattage) in one encloser, or just personal preference and being old school from what I remember reading on Schiit's website.  You also have to worry about the heat generated from all the components. 

You can get an amp by itself as long as the mobo/sound card has the input/output that the amp has. It won't work the other way around though, because you'd need some signal amplification and a DAC won't give you any. Even then you'd need a TRS output for the phones. 

Hope this helped in some way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back