Questions about Beyer DT 880 & Senn 595/600, & Bitheads
Apr 6, 2005 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Max Minimum

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade my at-home computer listening system. This is where I do most of my listening. Right now I mainly have the sound from lossless wma's coming out of an Audigy 2zs into a Yamaha receiver with HD595's plugged into the headphone out. I'm almost satisfied with this setup when turning down the treble by 4db and the bass down by 2db. But not quite. I'm thinking of altering this setup pretty drastically to, say, a Bithead (or Total Bithead if I go nuts) attached to a usb port and then getting a different set of full-sized cans, too. First, what do you think of the Bithead and Total Bithead sound? Secondly, which of the 'phones I'm considering (DT 880, HD595 & HD600) would work best, iyo? I don't think I'd want to spring for anything more expensive. The HD650's and the new SA5000's certainly look interesting, though very different from one another. I just don't want to bust my wallet that much. It'd be nice to take the bithead to work, too, so my CM7's can bypass the terrible headhpone out there.
smily_headphones1.gif
Woe is my wallet.

EDIT: Also, I have read that the 880 was redesigned at some point in the recent past. I'll be looking at used cans, too. I'm looking at a used 880 that has a coiled cord. Will this can sound different from the one that's gotten all the great reviews recently?

Apr 7, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 5
Bump...

I realize I'm asking for quite specific information here, but hopefully I won't be the only one who benefits as I've seen other people wanting to know more about these same items here lately...

Even if you can only comment on one or two of the items, I'd appreciate your knowledge.

Thanks.

Apr 7, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Well I don’t have a bithead but I use a Total Airhead with my 650s and ipod a good bit. It sounds pretty good compared to a receiver but not spectacular compared to higher end amps. IMO compared to a receiver (not all receivers are created equal) you will get a cleaner sound with better separation between notes. The Total Airhead is also dead quiet (no hiss) with the 650s where my receivers all hiss very loud. There is some hiss when using my shure e2c. I am not sure if the 595s will hiss or not at 120 ohms? You could always buy a bithead and send it back if you don’t like it. Headroom does have a 30 day money back guarantee.

Apr 7, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks, James 63.
600smile.gif
That's what I'll probably do.

Apr 7, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63
There is some hiss when using my shure e2c. I am not sure if the 595s will hiss or not at 120 ohms? You could always buy a bithead and send it back if you don’t like it. Headroom does have a 30 day money back guarantee.

I've got a Total Bithead and 120 Ohm 595s. I was using the TBH with my portable rig and E3Cs. It sounded good for what it is but for music with a large dynamic range (i.e. some very soft passages) there was a notable hiss that was annoying. With typical pop type songs it wasn't a problem. I replaced the TBH with an SR71 for my portable rig and I'm using the TBH as an external source with my computer at home with the 595s. With the 595s the hiss isn't a problem. I think the combination of the isolation of the E3Cs and their efficiency makes any hiss a problem.

I'm waiting for Headroom (or anyone else reputable for that matter) to release their new amp because I'd like to upgrade from the TBH but for what it is and used with the 595s I'm very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back