Questions about av710 and foobar...
Aug 11, 2004 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Escape Your Mind

New Head-Fier
Ok, so ive had my av710 and foobar for a few days now and when I use my normal computer speakers (old altec lansing acs56) it sounds very good, however when i put my HD497's on it sounds really distorted all around. My guess is that I currently have all the volume settings for my card and windows set to max per some reading around here. However, I think thats mainly for people who have a headphone amp so it gets the maximum signal. Either way, since i currently dont have an amp Ive kind of took the volume down in several places and tweaked the equalizer but it still sounds a little distorted and tinny still. Could that just be my very budget headphones, or something else?

Also my other question is, is kernel streaming the best way to go, as doing that causes me to lose the ability to hear normal windows sounds, such as when i get a message or something. I have windows setup to use my normal soundstorm, which doesnt have anything plugged into it, and foobar is for the av710. If i set windows to just do the av710 as well then when ever windows plays a sound, it stops my music. I have two soundcards, but my headphones dont have two plugs
wink.gif
. So is there some trick or something that im missing that would allow me to use my av710 and foobar without losing the normal windows sounds?

Aug 11, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 13
You probably need an amp. AV-710's high quality output is pure line-out (max. 1.1Vrms) with no true driving capabilities.

No known way around single sound source only with Kernel Streaming. You must use waveOut or Directsound if you really need the windows sounds.

Aug 11, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 13
Chaintech AV-710 doesn't natively support ASIO and the available ASIO implementations for it use Kernel Streaming (and good amounts of CPU power to achieve low latency, no real benefit for AV-710 unless the Kernel Streaming in Foobar refuses to work).

Aug 11, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
Chaintech AV-710 doesn't natively support ASIO and the available ASIO implementations for it use Kernel Streaming (and good amounts of CPU power to achieve low latency, no real benefit for AV-710 unless the Kernel Streaming in Foobar refuses to work).

Oh really??!! So ASIO is a KS wrapper??!
blink.gif

Good to know breez! Thanks! So you are stuck with WavOut or DS 1/2.

Aug 11, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape Your Mind
So is there some trick or something that im missing that would allow me to use my av710 and foobar without losing the normal windows sounds?

Yes: go out and get some cheap computer speakers to plug into your onboard audio.

Aug 11, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by proxops-pete
Oh really??!! So ASIO is a KS wrapper??!
blink.gif

Good to know breez! Thanks! So you are stuck with WavOut or DS 1/2.

Yes, at least the ASIO4ALL thingy. Native ASIO support of soundcard/drivers are probably different.

Aug 17, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 13
I thought I might borrow this thread since the first post asked the same question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I'm using foobar2000 set to KS, no resampling, and the 3.1a drivers set to normal 2-channel output with S/PDIF enabled, forced to PCM data and sampling rate to auto select.

It sounds fine and all - until windows plays a sound. This event will interrupt the KS stream which doesn't continue after that, even as foobar2000 continues to play the file ... Is there any way to solve this, or am I stuck with directSound (and Kmixer??)?

Thanks ...

Aug 17, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by richx
I thought I might borrow this thread since the first post asked the same question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I'm using foobar2000 set to KS, no resampling, and the 3.1a drivers set to normal 2-channel output with S/PDIF enabled, forced to PCM data and sampling rate to auto select.

It sounds fine and all - until windows plays a sound. This event will interrupt the KS stream which doesn't continue after that, even as foobar2000 continues to play the file ... Is there any way to solve this, or am I stuck with directSound (and Kmixer??)?

Thanks ...

Yes. Or you can simply stop and replay the mp3 file.
smily_headphones1.gif

Or do what Mr. Radar suggested in couple of posts above...

Aug 17, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 13
One thing ive found to be able to let me listen to foobar w/kernel streaming while i surf the web is to go into the control panel/sounds and audio devices/click the sounds tab/and under sound scheme where it says windows default click the dropdown box and click no sounds. it wont give you your windows sounds but i dont really need to hear the click when i press my mouse anyways
icon10.gif
then when im done i just go in and turn them back on. actually ive left them off for several weeks now cause i really dont need them. I know windows sounds are important to some for certain things so this wont work for everybody. I only have the chaintech installed so i dont have the option of putting foobar on the chaintech and all other sounds on another card.

Aug 18, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #12 of 13
SportaJoe - good idea hehe now why didn't I think of that ....

My onboard sound disables itself whenever a soundcard is plugged in ... Re-playing the MP3's annoying if you get a windows beep every minute or so when downloading a bunch of small files ... I was hoping new drivers would fix this ... but at least now I don't get stuttering S/PDIF output anymore ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back