Questions about Amplification - Getting louder Headphones
Nov 27, 2018 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

teecee5

100+ Head-Fier
Hey headfi,

I just read about impedance and efficiency and I am still a bit unsure.
I head a lot on the go directly via my Smartphone (Xiaomi Pocophone F1) with a Software EQ "Equalizer FX" with just the Bassboost Effect turned about 50-75% up (since I like this bassboost more than using the EQ).

There are my Headphones I use with Specs:

CustomArt Ei.XX:

DC resistance: 30 ohm DC
Impedance: 60 ohm at 1 kHz
Efficiency: 114 dB a t1 kHz
Frequency response: 10 – 17,500Hz (+/- 10dB into IEC711)

Campfire Audio Polaris:

20Hz–20kHz Frequency Response
97.5 dB SPL/mW Sensitivity
16.8 Ohms @ 1kHz Impedance

LZ-A4:

Impedance: 16Ω
Headphone sensitivity:120dB

Here are my questions:
Going over ~80% Mastervolume sounds like the Smartphone doesnt have enough Power, since the Bass doesnt get louder/harder (maybe even a little bit quieter) and the rest is only getting louder, not achieving more basskick.
Why is this?

Also, when I use the EQ and turn up any Frequency, all the other Frequencys go lower (not on the actual graph, but it sounds like that), why is this? (I have this Problem with any EQ)

Does a amplifier help? Im considering getting the Fiio BTR3 (Specs) or the Earsonic ES100 (Specs).

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Going over ~80% Mastervolume sounds like the Smartphone doesnt have enough Power, since the Bass doesnt get louder/harder (maybe even a little bit quieter) and the rest is only getting louder, not achieving more basskick.
Why is this?

Also, when I use the EQ and turn up any Frequency, all the other Frequencys go lower (not on the actual graph, but it sounds like that), why is this? (I have this Problem with any EQ)

Does a amplifier help? Im considering getting the Fiio BTR3 (Specs) or the Earsonic ES100 (Specs).

To your first question, I wouldn't expect changing volume to change the performance of just one part of the frequency range (i.e., bass), especially not when the volume control is digital, as on a smartphone.

Regarding EQ, if you are boosting any frequency, then overall the volume needs to be reduced. Otherwise, you may run into clipping. (You will run out of headroom on louder passages.) In some EQ systems, you would do this manually with by applying a negative preamp adjustemnt. In other EQ systems, the change is made for you automatically. Either way, this is the desired behavior. Once you have the EQ dialed in where you want it, you can increase the overall volume to your desired listening level. If you are applying a very extreme adjustment and using hard to drive headphones, this may cause problems, but you should have no issues with your IEMs and most DAPs or DAC/amps. (Not sure about your specific phone, though.)

The ES100 has very good EQ controls, BTW.

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 5
Here are my questions:
Why is this?

Most likely reason: auditory masking. The other frequencies are much louder than the bass to begin with, so as much as bringing all the volume louder should also make the bass louder, you're also making those already louder than the bass frequencies even louder.

Given that's a smartphone there's the possibility that its audio chip, even if built into the chipset, also has clipping detection/prevention, so even if you boost the low end, the built in DSP curtails it knowing it can't handle it. It's like GPU boost slowing down GPU core clocks when the core temperature starts approaching 70C.

Auditory masking. You boosted it, it's now louder than all the other frequencies.

Think about how this works with eyes. Go look at a photo in Lightroom. Boost red and it affects what the greens and blues and yellows look like, let alone white.

I just read about impedance and efficiency and I am still a bit unsure.
I head a lot on the go directly via my Smartphone (Xiaomi Pocophone F1) with a Software EQ "Equalizer FX" with just the Bassboost Effect turned about 50-75% up (since I like this bassboost more than using the EQ).

Try it with the bass boost effect off first then use the EQ to reduce every other frequncy above 100hz or 125hz instead so you can hear the bass without relying on something that will make the amplifier clip.

If that's not enough then try the bassboost at the lowest setting, then try upping it, until you get the sound you like.

Depends.

If your phone has a DSP preventing clipping then it depends on whether it still works with an external amp. Although what you can do is reduce everything else by a little bit so you're less dependent on just boosting the bass.

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 5
Aah thank you both very much!
So I might consider trying out an amp if this achieves more bass.

Lowering everything else did not sound that good

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 5
Lowering everything else did not sound that good

It depends on the settings which in turn depends on the limitations of the EQ. Did you just turn everything waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down? Because that's not what I'd do.

Run something like Neutron Music Player and apply a high shelf filter that will reduce everything above a certain frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back