Question: Which IEM to pick for price range 200-300
Jun 17, 2011 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Couch Potato

Head-Fier
Hello im thinking of buying a new pair of IEM and are prepared to pay a fair price for a good one that sounds good and would last

i am new to this forum and would like advice between the IEMs that ive been looking for the past few days

currently interested in:

IEM: CK10  /  IE 8  
Earbud: Sennheiser MX980

im aware that those two IEM sound good in different aspects but not sure which one to get
i heard CK10 and IE 8 are  high end IEMs

im still confused on the pros and cons between the both and would like someone who might own both give me a advice on which IEM / earbud i should get.

i listen to almost anything and like the better sound quality

appreciates

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 16
ahhh im not a guy who does alot of research on headphones but i do read reviews
but ive heard from this forum that those two are one of the best IEM in the market and i was hoping to get one of them
im using dr dre tour atm and i dont like the sound quality..

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
ahhh im not a guy who does alot of research on headphones but i do read reviews
but ive heard from this forum that those two are one of the best IEM in the market and i was hoping to get one of them
im using dr dre tour atm and i dont like the sound quality..

there are better IEMs then CK10/IE8.
I am not claiming these two are not good but they just  happened to be among first in the market so quite popular indeed.
Which sound you are looking for? With bass driven texture, with Clear and transparent imaging, Balanced or Dynamic?

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 16
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-176-iems-compared-dunu-ares-crius-added-06-15/3240

Scroll down to 200$+ and knock yourself out. Have a bit of a basic idea of what kind of sound you want and what are your needs before asking for recommendations.

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 16
Sennheiser IE8 has out of head large soundstage, deep punchy bass, clear mids and highs(not very high resolution compared to CK10), overall it has dark dynamic sound signature but fairly detailed. The CK10 is bass light compared to IE8 but mids, highs are more detailed and extended. So if you like bass light bright, neutral sound then CK10 are better pick.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 16
thanks so much for the replies!

but what are the difference in earbud compared to IEM?

i know that IEM offers more isolation which enables better SQ overall and earbud offers poor isolation (for you and for others) but does it have better sound quality (if ur not outside)?

im talking about the sennheiser mx980 some thread on this forum claims they prefer the mx980 than IE8 and im confused!

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 16
Earbuds don't go into your ear canal.

Do you want isolation? Steer away from earbuds. If you like a decent amount of bass, steer away from earbuds.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
whats the advantage of using an earbud over iem?

In my opinion, comfort. And that's about it. IEM is generally superior in just about everything else.

Some people prefer the MX980 to the IE8, that's their preference. Some people don't like the feel of something in their ear, and for them the bass of the MX980 is "enough." Earbuds have never satisfied me in sound, not the MX980, not the PK1, never. The sound is just incomplete to me, but note that I am a bass head.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #13 of 16
ok thanks for the reply

reading the reviews from this forum made me want to buy everyone of them!
but literally i think buying earphones online is like shopping for perfume online, you will never know how good they are unless you tried them regardless of how good reviews are written (i know this might offend people here :frowning2: but just my thoughts)

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
whats the advantage of using an earbud over iem?

Different type of sound, more open and spacious, and you can hear what's going on around you.

With IEM's, you insert them into your ear, and the first time you try it you'll hear something called "microphonics" which is like, swallowing, breathing, walking, tapping the cable, etc, and compared to earbuds you're like "what's this crap?", then after a while you get used to it, and you'll notice that the sound quality in IEM's tends to be better, and easier to concentrate on (since all the outside sound is blocked out).

If you're not sure if you want an earbud or IEM right now, try one that's both! the Yuin OK3, and then decide if you prefer earbud or IEM, if you prefer IEM, come back, and buy the ortofon e-q7 or Final Audio heaven SB or whatever (there's so many), and if you prefer earbud, get the Senn MX 980 or Yuin OK1 etc. etc.

If you can't be bothered, just get the ck10 and be happy!  It'll last you a long time, and it doesn't disappont.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Potato /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ok thanks for the reply

reading the reviews from this forum made me want to buy everyone of them!
but literally i think buying earphones online is like shopping for perfume online, you will never know how good they are unless you tried them regardless of how good reviews are written (i know this might offend people here :frowning2: but just my thoughts)

Of course it's like buying perfume!!

Read my review on the ck10 http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558427/kiteki-review-audio-technica-ath-ck10-the-calvin-klein-of-iem-s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back