QUESTION: When is it NOT appropriate to use google?
Oct 6, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 17
ummm..... when you don't find what you're looking for?

I have no idea, how could it not be appropriate to use google?

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 17
As I understand it, Google's algorithm mechanically depends on number of times a link has been used rather than any conceptual relationship with search terms. The more times a url has been visited the higher the ranking. If your search needs depend on meaning (proximity in semantic space) independent of popularity, then a human based search engine (like Yahoo) should be a better choice. You want real eyeballs helping you. Disclaimer: This is all second hand. I am no search engine guru.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I understand it, Google's algorithm mechanically depends on number of times a link has been used rather than any conceptual relationship with search terms. The more times a url has been visited the higher the ranking. If your search needs depend on meaning (proximity in semantic space) independent of popularity, then a human based search engine (like Yahoo) should be a better choice. You want real eyeballs helping you. Disclaimer: This is all second hand. I am no search engine guru.

Google's Algorithm is primarily based on the number of times a site is linked to by referencing a term. That's the essence of "Google Bombing" - for instance, putting a link such as Magic Beans in my signature to make it appear on lots of pages here and make it look like a lot of sites are linking to Google while talking about Magic Beans, thus pushing Google.com up on the list of search results for "Magic Beans".

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the middle of a phone interview. Trust me, the people on the other end CAN hear you typing.

Not if you're on a notebook or use a 'silent' keyboard
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

In the middle of a phone interview. Trust me, the people on the other end CAN hear you typing.

LOL! Not when I use my Jawbone!

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

I bought a keyboard with that in mind actually.

Phone interviews no longer suck!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back