question: wearing comfort of Ortofon E-q5 vs. Earsonic SM3 vs. Ety ER4
Jun 23, 2011 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AudioCats

Headphoneus Supremus
I am interested in getting some EQ5's, and want to know how comfortable they are comparing to the SM3 and ER4's? (since I have these two, it is easier for me to get an idea about the EQ5)

For me, the ER4 with tri-flange is relativly comfy to wear, while the Sm3 with factory bi-flange is a little too loose and the housing a little too big. Will the EQ5 be any worse?

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 7
Call me crazy, but I actually find the ER-4 more comfortable than the SM3 and even the UM3X. It's probably because I can consistently get a perfect seal with the tri-flanges versus having to fiddle with the UM3X or SM3 to get them to seal properly (even with foamies). I haven't used the EQ5, but it appears to be a shallower seal than the ER-4.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 7
The SM3's housing felt a little uncomfortable for my ears after prolonged use. I own the e-Q5 and have no comfort issues, using sony hybrid tips with them.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 7
I have the e-Q5 and the SM3. I find the SM3 pretty comfortable, but the EQ-5 can feel a little bit less obtrusive in the ears simply because its not as deep insertion as the SM3's. That said, I find the EQ-5's cable a little tricky and at times frustrating to wear over the ears both because of the rotating strain relief and the slightly heavier than average cable. Because of this I find the SM3's overall a little easier to live with.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Call me crazy, but I actually find the ER-4 more comfortable than the SM3 and even the UM3X. It's probably because I can consistently get a perfect seal with the tri-flanges versus having to fiddle with the UM3X or SM3 to get them to seal properly (even with foamies). I haven't used the EQ5, but it appears to be a shallower seal than the ER-4.

I do find my ER-4P with triflange more comfortable than my Westone 3 with the single flange. The Westone is comfortable, but I have to be mindful as the seal can break more easily and it can get comfortable if I angle the IEM body wrong. The ER-4's triflange seal is more secure and I can move about more freely which made me forget it's there. I guess they are designed for stage use and it is important that it is the way it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back