Question to ATH W1000 owners
Feb 15, 2003 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tigger

500+ Head-Fier
New W1000's on the way!

Does the 1/4 inch headphone plug screw on like the lower end models, or am I going to need a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to connect to my Meta 42 which has 1/8 jacks?
If an adapter is needed, which do you folks recommend?

Feb 15, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 6
You will need an adapter. The 1/4" plug is there to stay.
I don't have a particular adapter to suggest, however.

Feb 15, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 6
Or, if this is your sole application, see Rat Shack for a gold mini-plug, get out your silver solder, cut off the W1000 beautiful 1/4" plug (
eek.gif
), and solder on your gold miniplug

Feb 15, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 6
There are several threads about adapters. Check the search function.

I would never suggest the Radio Shack adapter (for this direction, anyway) because of sharp edges and uneven sections that can catch in many jacks. Instead, consider the Audio Technica, the Grado adapter cord, or the Dayton (from Parts Express). I have all three. I use the Grado with my Corda HA-1 because it functions as a stress relief, protecting the amp's jack and the headphone cord.

The Radio Shack adapter that goes in the other direction is fine (it's also a duplicate of the Sennheiser adapter).

Changing the plug permanently might affect the resale value, and who knows what else you might do to the silk cover, the special copper, etc.

Feb 15, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 6
You will need an adapter (or soldering skills, though I wouldn't recommend that). The Grado 1/4" to 1/8" adapter that Headroom sells is highly recommended from what I have read.

Feb 16, 2003 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
The Grado 1/4" to 1/8" adapter that Headroom sells is highly recommended from what I have read.

Ordered the Grado.
cool.gif
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back