Question time! making the best HD650 cable
Apr 19, 2005 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

rodentmacbeastie

500+ Head-Fier
I have in the past on my HD600 used the Equinox with great results. I also made another cable, which I sold to a friend for an ungodly amount. It cost me an ungodly amount to make it. First it started with pure silver wire, dual Litz configuration. Sounded wonderful and dynamic but lacking the Equinox's warmth and beauty. I then added a pair of, are you ready, Bybee quantum filters and wow! Equinox plus greater resolution. I then decided to use some gold plated gold, silver, copper alloy(mainly for it's anti-corrosive qualities) and nothing changed. When I sold the cable to my friend I removed the Bybee's and reterminated them. Five minutes later I thought I would listen to the new wire without the filters and voila! the same sound. The Bybee's made my silver sound like gold so to speak. Bybee's will be located elsewhere for the next test, maybe power wire?

The conclusion is that gold is sought after for a reason other than wealth. It is a metal our body likes. My new cable will be made with this gold, no Bybees, a Cardas plug and direct solder to the headphones. My question is about the amount of conductors. The Litz braid requires 4 (2 pairs), so does the quad braid that uses tons of wire. My IC's are tri-braid field geometry and I love them. Shoudn't I be able to run a tribraid below my chin and then split the ground there and then run Litz braid? It would save me wire and time.

Or, i could tri-braid with two ground wires in the same cotton sleave which would yield me a tribraid with 4 conductors to even the load. I don't like teflon, cotton is king. I am starting to believe that the more naturally occuring substances used and the less invented equals natural sound. Maybe I am crazy, but who said we could one up nature?

Anyway, if any of you see any problems or have advice in helping me make my new granola/hippie cable let me know. The gloves are off for dreaming, give me ideas and I won't laugh. Let's think outside the box, if anyone does laugh, shame on you!

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back