question relating to the sapphiremodena post
Sep 19, 2002 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
Is there anything on the used market that would sound as good as the Sony for under $200, such as an NAD or a Denon ?

Sep 19, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 3
I own the denon, and I've heard the sony. I may be a bit biased since I own the denon. . . but I'd put it pretty much equal stock, and slightly ahead when you remove the headphone jack(10 minute job), where some of its low points(highs, dark sounding), are fixed a bit (Highs less fatiguing, and mids are more neutral).

But both are fine players. . . if I had to choose, I'd go with the sony, simply because it's also an sacd player. But be advised: its a dvd player first, cd player second, so it may not be as easy to use(but personally, who cares?)

Good luck in your decision! You won't be disappointed with either one.

Sep 19, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 3
The discontinued Parasound CDP-1000 far outclasses the Sony's on redbook. This out of production unit is free of digital nasties, liquid, open, and even handed in a way no $500 player has the right to be. They fetch about $200 on Audiogon, but are a rarity. If you get a unit without tracking problems, you will be delighted with its CEC transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back