Mic and guitars
AKG Q701 I've been using for the past 7 years
Studio monitors (ADAM T5V)

I added a picture of the Presonus card. Here is my current passage:
Mic and guitar go in at the front
USB connect PC to this card
Main Out: monitor speakers
Phone out: Q701

I've been enjoying the sound from my Q701 from this card. I've heard that this card has a decent headphone amp chip for this price range. But now I'm thinking to upgrade. I've been eyeing for another good headphone (thinking Senn HD800 for now) and a DAC/AMP combo around $500 or less.

Now here is my question. How should I connect a DAC to this? Should I use the main out from the sound card to connect to DAC, then use the output from DAC for my minitors and headphone together?

Or, do I even need a DAC?

Thank you very much!

TheLastZealot

audiobox22vsl-800x800.jpg

Nov 15, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 6
The Presonos is a DAC (in the same box as the recording interface). If you wanted a different DAC, it would connect directly to your computer, not through the Presonos. You would also need a different amp, because an external DAC isn't going to route through the Presonos amp.

Nov 15, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 6
ty for the response!

okey... i never knew that my $200 presonus card is such a complete device. i always thought it was just for recording

so this thing has dac and amp all together (i assume not so high end since it was pretty cheap?), i guess i will not have to buy a separate dac/amp at this point, and just plug the upcoming hd800 straight into this?

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 6
ty for the response!

okey... i never knew that my $200 presonus card is such a complete device. i always thought it was just for recording

so this thing has dac and amp all together (i assume not so high end since it was pretty cheap?), i guess i will not have to buy a separate dac/amp at this point, and just plug the upcoming hd800 straight into this?

You'd be better off with a separate amplifier using the HD800, but yes - the "Phones" jack on your PreSonus may work in the interim. The specs say it's pretty minimal, though - 30mW into a 60ohm load. The HD800 is a 300 ohm headphone, so you may not get sufficient amplification.

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #6 of 6
ty for the response!
so this thing has dac and amp all together (I assume not so high end since it was pretty cheap?), i guess i will not have to buy a separate dac/amp at this point, and just plug the upcoming hd800 straight into this?
The analog inputs (used by the mic & guitar) on the Presonus are processed by the ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) function, built into the Presonus.
The analog outputs (used by the headphone & studio monitors) on the Presonus are processed by the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) function, built into the Presonus.

While the Presonus headphone jack was fine (power wise) for driving the 62-Ohm Q701, the 300-Ohm Senn HD800 might be another matter.
But you would not know for sure until you have plugged the HD800 into the Presonus.

Is the Presonus connected to the Adam T5V using a balanced cable (1/4 TRS plug to XLR plug) or unbalanced cable (1/4 TS plug to RCA plug)?

Do you use the headphones and studio monitors more for listening to stuff you have recorded?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back