Question regarding "loudness" switch
Feb 7, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #16 of 19
the pots are usually refered to the thing  behind the volume knobs or tone control knobs. you'll see at soon as you pull off the knobs and spray the inside of the knobs then put the knob back on and turn clockwise and counter-clockwise several times to allow the spray to soak in and i usually use a microfiber cloth to clean it off after several turns and can spray back of the pots from the inside with the lid/cover of the amp/receiver off like you have. like me and others mention get some electronic cleaner to clean the oxidation and dirt build up from sitting around too long without matience. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #17 of 19

Quote:
the pots are usually refered to the thing  behind the volume knobs or tone control knobs. you'll see at soon as you pull off the knobs and spray the inside of the knobs then put the knob back on and turn clockwise and counter-clockwise several times to allow the spray to soak in and i usually use a microfiber cloth to clean it off after several turns and can spray back of the pots from the inside with the lid/cover of the amp/receiver off like you have. like me and others mention get some electronic cleaner to clean the oxidation and dirt build up from sitting around too long without matience. 

Great! Thanks very very much I really appreciate the help.
Learning DIY tricks like this is a fantastic feeling, i must say. Who knows, maybe I'll find myself jumping on the DIY bandwagon sooner than I expected!

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #19 of 19
Definitely sounds like something is amiss with your loudness switch.  As an earlier poster mentioned, the loudness button should add a bit more base and possibly treble, and that's about it.  In my collection, I have (or have owned) dozens of amps from the same era as your technics, and they all had that button and exhibited the same subtle behavior.  The only time I have mine turned off is at night when the kiddies are asleep and the wife is trying to watch tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back