Question Regarding iMod Burn-In
Nov 27, 2010 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Madgravity34

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I have a DIYmod with a LOD custom made by qusp at Twisted Cables. The Blackgates are 47uF and the system has seen around 50+ hours at this point. I have some questions regarding the SQ of the unit at the moment, I am noticing that the bass, soundstage, and clarity are a level above a stock ipod, which is to be expected. But I have noticed that the sound still seems rather cluttered and the treble is still rather sibilant on me ATH-M50's or even my UM3X's (!!).

My question to experienced iMod and DIYmod users is, will the sibilance disappear and the sound smoothen out as I get closer to 200+ hours? I have heard the iMod's have stronger treble presence, which is fine, but I am hoping this sibilance is not here to stay! I also want to find out if modifying the cable used in the internal wiring could help tame the treble slightly. Currently I am using silver-plated OFC copper (30AWG) but I am considering SCSAG from cry-parts or possibly going to straight single-crystal copper instead.

Thanks all for your help!

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 4
I am not sure of the TwSPC cable burn-in requirements--that would be a question for Qusp--but my experience with both the ALO SXC LOD a while ago and the various TWag-based WhipLODs indicate that most improvements occur between 100-300 hours. Largely smoothing, soundstage widening and, in general a bit of additional treble extension and bass texture improvements.  TWags improve even further past 300, although the curve flattens out past 500 hours or so.

The WhipMOD has the additional aspect of burning in the internal SCSCag wiring, but that doesn't apply to your scenario.

I'd say let the system run for an additional 100-150 hours or so and then compare against your current baseline SQ signature.   Hopefully, the sibilance is gone by then, if not consider trying out a different LOD or upgrading the internal wiring in your DIYMod.

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 4
edited just remembered, cant make subjective comments in here (MOT guidelines) shoot me an email

Users who are viewing this thread

Back