Question Regarding dt 880
Aug 3, 2005 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

wildcats1121

New Head-Fier
Is it true that the 880 now comes with a straight cord instead of the short curled cord? And if so which site sells the new 880? I plan on purchasing a pair with in the next few days and my only concern was about the cord. Also, I know this headphone needs a decent amp to sound good however I have to drive it from my computers soundcard for the first few weeks (How will this sound compared to my current sr80 headphones?). My friend is selling me his earmax amp (good pair with dt 880 from what I hear) however he is out of town at the moment. Thanks for the help.

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 21
There seems to be a LOT of Ohio people on these forums.
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 21
I just bought one from headroom that came with a straight cable. Probably only stores with old stock still have the curly ones.
Completely unamped out of an ipod they sound pretty bad and they distort. Never use them unamped out of a pod.
Out of my computer (has a sound blaster card) they sound decent, good bass but weak highs and sometimes distortion when turned up loud.
I have this old Kenwood reciever with a built in amp. Out of there they sound pretty full across the spectrum and is currently what I use. Sound stage opens up immensely and clarity is much higher, no distortion at any volume I've tried. Putting the reciever on virtual surround and playing classical sounds great. But I can just tell they are still crying for more.
very_evil_smiley.gif

If your going to get an earmax soon you have nothng to worry about.
cool.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 21
Congrats for your purchase. I think the DT880 sounds good and dynamic also directly from my cd-player (marantz cd7300). I've never tried them with portables, but I trust you...
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as I know, earmax+DT880 is a very good combo.

Enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrea

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysan89
yeah all around columbus, cleveland and cinci unfortunately so I cant get to any of the meets since im NW ohio and im 16. unless you guys want to have a meet in toledo!

What's your take on the Amazon refurbs thread where the Senn sales rep guy said there were no 600's with 650 drivers?

Anyway, I'm in the market for DT880, and I really don't see the point in a 10' straight cord...honestly, What do you need something that long for?

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowjacket
Anyway, I'm in the market for DT880, and I really don't see the point in a 10' straight cord...honestly, What do you need something that long for?

If your most comfortable chair or whatever is a little far from the headphone output, it is useful. Anyway, all headphones have a 3mt cord. And the DT880 comes also with an extensione cable of 5 mt...
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrea

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
If your most comfortable chair or whatever is a little far from the headphone output, it is useful. Anyway, all headphones have a 3mt cord. And the DT880 comes also with an extensione cable of 5 mt...
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrea

Right, so you use the 15 ft straight ext when your comfy char is far away and you have a nice short coiled one when you're using something closer to you.

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 21
Personally I don't like coiled cables. They are always too short (no more than 1 mt unstressed), and when you stress them they pull the headphones. 3 mt straight cord is fine for me. Not a real problem, really.
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrea

Aug 3, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 21
Plugged into the reciever and sitting back in the chair or lying on my bed I easily use 80% of the reach.
wink.gif
I'm also glad the cable is not coiled but maybe you can request yours be coiled and they will have one.

Aug 3, 2005 at 10:06 AM Post #12 of 21
I'm not a big fan of the coiled cable, either. My HD280 has the coiled cable, and it almost always snags on something. It's a pain. But getting back to the point, the DT880 that I ordered from toddthevinyljunkie.com have the straight cord.

Aug 3, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #13 of 21
The one I bought from Todd in March came with the straight cable. From reading the forums, you will most likely get a straight cable if you buy them new. As long as you are not pushing them to very loud levels and your soundcard is not horrible sounding, you should be fine for the time being.

Most straight cables are around 3 m, so 10 ft. is no big deal. Better to have a little more length than less. The exterior of the cable seems to be of higher quality then the straight cables that came stock with my HD 580 & 600, and my K501. It's thicker, yet still very flexible. But as cool as the aluminum box is, mine had a couple minor scratches on the outside - I'm not crying though.

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Fox
But as cool as the aluminum box is, mine had a couple minor scratches on the outside - I'm not crying though.

My lid came with two small dents
blink.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back