Question regarding drivers for 3D printed headphones
May 14, 2022 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

New Head-Fier
Hi. I am looking to build a pair of 3D printed headphones for a school project. However I am quite confused on which drivers are suited for close/open back applications.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 3
I have done some research and learnt some basics in the designs (baffles, dampening, earpads etc), but I am struggling to find information regarding which drivers are more suited for closed and open back applications.

If possible, I would like some advice on this matter. I was planning on using Peerless HPD-40N16PET00-3 or Peerless HPD-50N25PR00-32 for my open back design. I heard that Peerless HPD-50N25PR00-32 don't perform well in closed back designs.

best case scenario, I would like to use identical drivers for both designs to showcase to markers the difference the design makes on the sound between open and closed backs.

Another thing, some manufacturers on aliexpress (preferred source for driver) post FR graphs for the drivers, should this influence my choice for driver?

May 23, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 3
I’ve never used peerless drivers, but I’ve had great success with AliExpress ones. If not worth much about drivers being better or worse for closed back cups, damping is like 80% of headphone design anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back