Question regarding AKG K416P
Aug 22, 2009 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

lz1gjd

New Head-Fier
Hello,
this is my first post in this forum, but I have been monitoring this forum for a long time, and to some extent have based my portable audio equipment based on what I have read here. I could say that I have a pretty huge AKG collection of headphones (including K312P, K314P, K324P, K412P, K416P). My latest purchase was the AKG K416P, which after listening to the K414P for a few minutes, I thought sounded better, and to some extent justified the doubled price. Well, I have listened to them for just a few hours, and I must confess that I am quite dissapointed with the sound. For my portable audio source I use the Sony NWZ-A816 DAP which I think is a pretty decent player, with more than adequate sound quality (at least for portable use).The bass of my AKG K416P is really strong and deep, but that makes the other part of the sound spectrum somehow masked. Even turning down the Clear Bass to Zero, does not improve the sound quality, mids are somehow muffled, so the highs, and only the upper part of the high frequency spectrum is pronounced. Also, sound does not seem to be very detailed. In other words apart from the bass these phones do not stand out with anything else. Maybe this will sound weird but I find my K314P earbuds! much better than these, which cost me at least three times more, and when you give 50 euro (which in my country - Bulgaria - is a ridiculous amount of money to be spent on headphones, not to mention portable ones). The K314P and even K312P seem quite nicely detailed, with really nice mids and highs, only bass is somewhat lacking, but I can live with that.
Finally, I would like to ask you if my description of the phones is correct, and maybe I must do them some burn-in before I make my complete judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back