Question re Westone UM56
Oct 23, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the silicone, which are supposed to be more durable.

What do the silicone ear pieces feel like. If they are intended to be "more durable" than vinyl, does that mean that they also have less "give" or pliability?

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by baertracks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do the silicone ear pieces feel like. If they are intended to be "more durable" than vinyl, does that mean that they also have less "give" or pliability?

I don't think there's a big difference in terms of feel between the vinyl and silicone. The vinyl may be a bit harder. I think the durability has something to do with the nature of the material, in terms of its ability to keep its shape. I don't know, I was just told that silicone absorbs body oils more readily, but if well-cleaned should last longer than vinyl.

After about 2 hours of wearing my new UM56s, I took them out very gingerly and painfully. When I put on my Complys, it was just a relief--like "Aahhhhhh." Much cushier and more comfortable. The customs are great for the first hour, but it seems like they're pressing hard against the cartilage in my ears.

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #18 of 21
I was thinking of getting Um 56 , after reading this thread .. i am sticking to my modified triple flange. It seals well , doesn't break seal when i move my jaws , comfortable and cost me just $14 for pack of 5
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #19 of 21
It is really better to buy a few packs of comply's and use the money that way. You know you'll get the best fit and seal no matter what. Moving, yawning, or hiking in the woods.

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking of getting Um 56 , after reading this thread .. i am sticking to my modified triple flange. It seals well , doesn't break seal when i move my jaws , comfortable and cost me just $14 for pack of 5
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't mean to dissuade anyone from trying custom tips, or the UM-56 specifically. Just trying to share my experiences and let people know that the process may take time and not end exactly as you had hoped.

Having said that, I'm starting to find a more comfortable fit with my UM-56. You really have to experiment with putting the tips closer to or further away from the driver housing, as well as the rotation and angle of insertion. You can get a seal with various methods, but only 1 for me will really seal and feel comfortable: I pull tips further away from the driver housing and rotate them to point up rather sharply.

I think the UM-56 are a good solution if you're having fit issues with stock tips, aren't totally satisfied with the sound, and/or are hoping to get a small (and much cheaper) taste of what full customs might feel and sound like.

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #21 of 21
the biggest pain is when they don't fit right and you have to have it remade and remade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back