Question re volume of K701's
Nov 8, 2006 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
I just obtained a set of AKG K701's. I am using them with a Singlepower Supra amplifier, which was voiced for the Senn HD 650's. With the HD650's, I achieve my typical listening volume at about 9:00 on the volume control on the amp, while with the K701's, I have to turn the volume up to about 11:00. This surprised me, given the lower impedance of the K701's. I know sensitivity factors into this as well, but from a rather technical thread I read about a month ago on impedance and sensitivity, it seemed that the volume setting for both cans would be roughly similar. Perhaps it's related to the Singlepower tube amp I am using.

In any event, I am wondering if anybody has any explanation for this, or if anyone using any of the Singlepower amps that were voiced for the Senn headphones have experienced the same thing.

Nov 8, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 3
It could be that the tubes on your Supra don't put out enough current for the K701s, which require a lot of it. I'm guessing you are using 6SN7s as output tubes? If so, you should try the 5687 or the 6BL7s, which give much more current than the 6SN7s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back