Question re Thorens TD160 turntable ...
Sep 16, 2004 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Gord SW Ont

100+ Head-Fier
Recently my wife was poking around for items to put in a garage sale. She found my old Thorens TD160 turntable that I had put away in it's original box over 20 years ago and was going to include it.
eek.gif

I remember I put it away when my son was very young because I noticed him opening up the cover. Before I could stop him he bumped the tonearm and the needle on my Shure V15 Type III cartridge was bent. I don't think the cartridge was damaged but it may have been.

Question .. is it worth getting a new cartridge on this thing and using it as a source for my headphone system? Is there any maintenance recommendations before using a component that's been put away for so long?

She also found my old Marantz 2245 receiver and a Pioneer CT-F1000 rack mount cassette tape deck. Unfortunately I didn't pack these away at the same time and my son used them when he was older and they now need some repair. She wants to include these in her garage sale as well???

Thanks for listening ... Gord SW Ont.
3000smile.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 7
That's a tt wiht a cult following, a great unit.

Most likely the belt will be rotted out and need replacement. You may also want to check the spindle bearing for corrosion.

Definitely a TT worthy of a good cartridge, which will depend greatly on your phono preamp and remaining system.

Edit: If you cave in, remember you can fetch a way better price for this stuff on eBay rather than the $5 some passer-by will offer you at a yardsale!

Sep 16, 2004 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 7
I've just bought almost that exact model ..a TD160 super in fact! a great piece of kit, definitely worth holding onto IMO. Gives my high-end dac a run for its money! A new belt and cartridge are almost definitely in order. You will need to find out what the tonearm is before deciding on a cartridge as the effective mass of the tonearm will let you know what type of cartridge to go for.

(Light tonearms need a high-compliance cartridge [Most moving magnets and van den hul MCs], Medium are pretty happy with almost everything, and the heavys need the low compliance types [most MCs]).

Then give it a spin and revel in what you've been missing all those years!!

..there's tons of stuff on the web re:tuning/mods/setup/manuals for that model, too!

Sep 17, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 7
I once had a new TD160 Super with a used Grace 707 arm and a new Yamaha MC-505 cartridge - finicky beast to set-up and handle (too much for my taste, actually - so I eventually sold it to a friend...), but very nice sounding. I have yet to reach that sound quality again with digital sources... Probably hopeless.
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Sep 17, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord SW Ont
Looks like I'll check into it further and remove it from the garage sale (which is tomorrow by the way
biggrin.gif
)

Splendid plan, keep on it - or otherwise tell me where that sale will be!
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back