Question re; desktop portable DAC
Dec 16, 2007 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mackay maus

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all;

I noticed that the desktop portable is the sole amp in the desktop line to retain the desktop DAC. Is this for power reasons, or can the portable be upgraded to the home DAC down the line?

Thanks

M

Dec 20, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 8
We had the DTP prototype at our mini meet, and I was quite impressed at the sound and form factor. A step up from my cosmic. I used it with the USB from my powerbook, but have read it would have sounded better out of the optical.

Amp was typical Headroom build-bulletproof and solid. A nice product.

We had the prototype case, which was convenient, tho I preferred to us it in my old headroom traveller bag-I don't like the clear vinyl top, though I can see where most would.

I'm not sure how different the production model is, but I want a DTP. My only hesitation is whether my funds might be better invested in the non portable ultra DAC, which I could use with both my other amps and speakers..

How good an amp do you need to sit outside and smoke cigars with?

Hope that helps.

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 8
No,can not be upgraded.
No reviews as yet.
I did have a response from someone here to a question I put forward regarding this amp. He said he returned it due to Headroom lowering the output power And Class A bias in order to achieve better battery figures.
YMMW.

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No,can not be upgraded.
No reviews as yet.
I did have a response from someone here to a question I put forward regarding this amp. He said he returned it due to Headroom lowering the output power And Class A bias in order to achieve better battery figures.
YMMW.

Wrong amp. That's the Micro-portable.

Quote:

The HeadRoom 2007 Portable Desktop Amp utilizes the deeply Class-A 'Home' electronics module...

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 8
I believe the Desktop Portable uses the home amp module, but the desktop dac to save power...

Jan 24, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 8
The new HeadRoom Portable Desktop amp/dac unit utilizes lithium rechargeable batteries so in order to remain within reasonable battery life specs we very slightly dialed down the DAC processor to 'Class A/B' performance; the Portable Desktop's electronics module operates in true Class-A bias..... FYI -- The AC-power-only Ultra Micro (up-sampling) DAC operates deep into Class-A using quality 627 OPAs.

The 2007/2008 Portable Desktop was just introduced in late Fall 2007 so professional reviews have not been made available yet. However, we do have some of these units presently in the hands of reviewers so i'd imagine there will be reviews forthcoming for all our new Micro & Desktop series of HeadRoom amps/dacs.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new HeadRoom Portable Desktop amp/dac unit utilizes lithium rechargeable batteries so in order to remain within reasonable battery life specs we very slightly dialed down the DAC processor to 'Class A/B' performance; the Portable Desktop's electronics module operates in true Class-A bias..... FYI -- The AC-power-only Ultra Micro (up-sampling) DAC operates deep into Class-A using quality 627 OPAs.

The 2007/2008 Portable Desktop was just introduced in late Fall 2007 so professional reviews have not been made available yet. However, we do have some of these units presently in the hands of reviewers so i'd imagine there will be reviews forthcoming for all our new Micro & Desktop series of HeadRoom amps/dacs.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Thanks Jorge, I'll keep watching.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back