Question re: bad ebay transaction
Dec 29, 2002 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jackangel

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a cd off ebay. This once, I forgot to ask whether or not the CD is explicit/unedited. It was stated that it's a promo CD, and I didn't have a problem with that. Are promotional CDs usually edited for content? Is this something I should have known? A lot of (good) sellers mention whether or not their CDs are explicit, usually in the title. It's an important piece of inforrmation. I am partially to blame for not asking this time, but is she also to blame for not disclosing that fact? Or is it enough to say that the CD is a promo, and therefore automatically assumed to be edited?

thanks,

Rishi

Dec 29, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 6
Just my 2 cents: If the case bears the legend, "Edited for wusses" in large lettering, then it is the seller's responsibility to note that.

But if the case just says "promo" and the only way to know is to listen, the seller is not reponsible.

Sorry things didn't go right...

Dec 29, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 6
I just did a search, there are plenty of explicit promo cds up for sale on ebay. That was perhaps a silly question, as there was little doubt to the answer.

The real issue is what to do. I put the CD up for sale again on ebay and we agreed that she would pay the difference, which turned out to be 4 dollars (she wouldn't refund shipping). And her response time was very poor (took over a week for the first response) because she was moving. She asked for my address, presumably so she could send a check. At that point, I got a wee bit pissed and said that I wanted refund via paypal, which is how I paid her (didn't want to drive to the bank and deposit a check unless I had to).

Her last response was that I was being too demanding, and that she was doing me a favor by cooperating at all. She cut off communication and said she wouldn't be paying after all. Then she gave me my first negative feedback, even though I didn't do that to her (and still haven't yet).

I'm not sure if I'll pursue this any farther. I responded to her just now, as nicely as I could manage, even though I'd like to wring the bitch's neck. She'll probably ignore it.

If I weren't at fault in any way, it would be easier to know what to do. But, since I did make a mistake initially (by not asking), I'm not sure if I have the high ground. I'd like to believe it, but might as well discuss quickly.

Probably best to drop it, but we'll see.

Dec 29, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 6
daycart1: I never actually listened to the CD. It's still sealed, and says "edited version" in parenthesees on a label on the edge of the jewel case. I assume that means it's edited for foul language.

Dec 29, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 6
well, those promo cds are for store play, which i'd assume they are edited. I have quite a few promo cds and never saw an edited for content sticker or label anywhere on the cd.

Dec 29, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 6
With the new info I'd say:

1. It is, at best, bad business not to cheerfully return your money, and

2. Assuming you'd been civil, it was quite wrong to give you a neg. feedback simply for asking that the refund be paypal.

If I were you, I'd be pissed, but I'd try to forget about it now. CDs are expensive, but your peace of mind is worth more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back