question on v6
Sep 6, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by milamber
hey guys i know quiet a few ppl dislike the v6... but just a question... does the v6 significantly improve with an amp??
milamber

Yes

Sep 6, 2004 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 9
No.

That is, it's not like a Senn 600 or something else that needs an amp to sound good. I think the V6 is a fine headphone, but if you're one of those who dislikes it, I doubt that an amp will significantly change your view of the V6.

Sep 6, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
No.

That is, it's not like a Senn 600 or something else that needs an amp to sound good. I think the V6 is a fine headphone, but if you're one of those who dislikes it, I doubt that an amp will significantly change your view of the V6.

I will have to disagree with this. Although it is correct that the 7506/V6 do not need an amp to play loud and have bass, the better the upstream, the better they will sound. If somebody does not like the sound signature, it is unlikely it will make him or her change his or her mind. But IMO it is a myth that the Sony’s do not improve with a good amp (or better CDP, TT, etc). Those headphones will tell you (and not necessarily in a nice way) what you have upstream, including poorly encoded music.

Sep 6, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 9
I tried a set of V600s the other day at Best Buy. With the volume turned all the way up on my Zire 71 the volume was a little below normal. With my cmoy in the mix it perked right up. Sounded great. I'm going to visit the local music store tomorrow to try out all their sealed cans.

Sep 6, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gremlin
I tried a set of V600s the other day at Best Buy. With the volume turned all the way up on my Zire 71 the volume was a little below normal. With my cmoy in the mix it perked right up. Sounded great. I'm going to visit the local music store tomorrow to try out all their sealed cans.

the V6 is a very different animal from the V600

Sep 6, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques
I will have to disagree with this. Although it is correct that the 7506/V6 do not need an amp to play loud and have bass, the better the upstream, the better they will sound. If somebody does not like the sound signature, it is unlikely it will make him or her change his or her mind. But IMO it is a myth that the Sony’s do not improve with a good amp (or better CDP, TT, etc). Those headphones will tell you (and not necessarily in a nice way) what you have upstream, including poorly encoded music.

What I mean is that the core sound signature does not change significantly with an amp vs. directly out of a portable or sound card. There's no sudden improvement in frequency response by giving them more power.

I agree with you that they are transparent enough that if you give them a better source or amp you'll be able to hear the improvement in detail and channel separation.

Sep 6, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
No.

That is, it's not like a Senn 600 or something else that needs an amp to sound good.

Make that "to sound listenable" and I'm with you.

Quote:

I think the V6 is a fine headphone, but if you're one of those who dislikes it, I doubt that an amp will significantly change your view of the V6.

I agree. Although I believe some of the common criticisms about the V6s are due to being driven by poor amps. Driven from a weak, high impedance output, the bass has a tendency to bloat. Paired with a proper amp, the bass is fantastic and matched by not to many other headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back