Question on Tube life
Jul 27, 2005 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dag655321

100+ Head-Fier
I am new to the tube game (my PPX3 6SN7 just arrived yesterday), and I have a question regarding tube life.

Is the life of a tube determind by how much the amp is used, or how long the amp stays on for?

In my case, I use a tube amp on my desk at work. There are times during the day when I have to walk away from my desk for an hour or more. Will it negatively impact the life of the tubes if I leave the amp on with no signal passing through it? On the other hand, would tunring the amp on and off several time a day be even worse? I guess it boils down to which is worse for the tubes, being on and not used for a few hours a day, or warming up and cooling down several times a day?

Any advice is appreciated.

Jul 27, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 10
If the tube is on its losing life. But switching the amp on and off several times a day is actually harder on the tube than just idling the tube for short periods (1-2 hours) before resuming use. Using the amp the way you do now is fine. For the longest tube life there just needs to be a reasonable balance between how long the amp is on and how much your listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 10
Yah, what the guy above said.

John

Jul 28, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 10
Yeah, what everyone else said.

The only qualification I would make is, if your power is really dirty, then I would shut it off. For example, during a lightning storm, we had many brownouts here earlier today. I shut my stuff down.

Rule of thumb: they're like lightbulbs. Most of the life goes during the on (and off) cycles. If you run them hot, they'll die sooner. Etc.

Jul 28, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 10
to extend tube life:

1. keep them cool
2. keep them away from shocks - that means NO TAPPING!
wink.gif

3. power them on/off as infrequently as possible

this would mean that you you would be better off not powering on/off your amp when leaving your workplace.

you will not damage anything by leaving them on with no signal passing through - though to be safe if you are leaving your workplace for some time i would set the volume pot to minimum so in case the tube goes nova (extremely rare, i might add) your headphones have a better chance of surviving.

Jul 28, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 10
When you said

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc

this would mean that you you would be better off not powering on/off your amp when leaving your workplace.

did you mean leave the amp on if I walk away for an hour or two? Or did you mean, leave the amp on when I go home for the night?

Normally I leave it on all day (whether I am using it or not) and turn it off when I leave for the day. Is this the right practice?

Thanks again.

Jul 28, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dag655321
Normally I leave it on all day (whether I am using it or not) and turn it off when I leave for the day. Is this the right practice?

Thanks again.

yep - that would be an excellent compromise between preserving tube life through minimising on/off cycles and preserving tube life by reducing overall usage.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 10
Wow adhoc you're fast. Thanks for all of the advice. I am really digging this whole tube thing.

Jul 28, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dag655321
Wow adhoc you're fast. Thanks for all of the advice. I am really digging this whole tube thing.

Wait until you start tuberolling.... thats even more fun!!
cool.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 10
Most of my audio tube equipment is newer so I haven't experienced any failure I do have some amateur radio equipment from Collins and Hammarlund that predates me. With the original tubes in the RF and Audio sections I see very minimal if any signal degradation yet. But watch, as soon as I'm finished typing this, one will go.... ahh!

Happy tubin' !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back