Question on old pcdp
Apr 20, 2003 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

beastie

Head-Fier
hi gang,

i just finished reading duncan's essay. great job dude!

now to me.

i have a panasonic sl-s150. this unit is pretty old, was made before 1993. it has no anti-skip protection so it's virtually a desktop cd player. it has a dual DAC and 8 times oversampling. i'm wondering if this unit is any good compared to those legendary sony stuff? this is like my only pcdp. i never had experience with any sony cd players so i wouldn't know what they sound like. from reading the archive i have learned that without the shock protection, the player won't compress the digital signal as much when converting to analog. so with my player, do you think it should sound good because it doesn't have any skip-protection?

do all cp players output relatively the same before say 1993? i know the price is different. i think my uncle bought this for me from japan like 10 years ago for around 100 to 150 US, a far cry from the top of the line sonys. the build quality for mine is flimsy. but i want to know if the sound production is on par, or are they as far off as the price?

the reason i'm asking is duncan's essay has tempted me in getting one of those old sony players. i'm planning to build myself a meta42 in the summer, so unless the players differ much in terms of sound quality i won't bother getting another player.

thanks.

Apr 21, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi Beastie
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the comments
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm from the opposite side of the fence from you, that i've (obviously) heard plenty of Sony units, but never any from Panasonic...

I'm presuming that the sonic 'signatures' are quite different between the two brands... Does anyone have any insight into this?

and Beastie, you yourself... what do you think of the Panasonics sound? does it captivate you? make you lose track of time? realise that you've lost an hour or so when you think you've only just put a CD in, and its already finished? If so, I wouldn't bother upgrading!

...Only the D311 can do that with me... so, even with Sony its not a guaranteed goal...

Apr 21, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 3
hi duncan,

i'm looking forward to your revised review!

well, the sound of panasonic has probably ingrained into my musical perception, as far as cd players go. i never bothered with buying another cd player. although i did receive a kenwood player many years ago as a gift. but the sound was not good if i remember correctly. this player skips like a mofo. the battery life is a joke. i've managed many years with my cassette player. but now i leave all my portable music to my trusty old e10 minidisc player.

i don't think my pana is that bad. compared to my e10. i definitely notice little bit of muffled sound, whereas e10 is super clear. the sound is maybe "warm"? i dunno. it can definitely drive my cans louder than my minidisc portables. i don't have much to compare to. in terms of captivating... i usually finish a cd before to another one.

if anyone tried more than one brand of old pcdp and would like to comment, i'd be much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back