Question on LOD's/ first amp.
Mar 2, 2009 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Chris_Luu

New Head-Fier
Hi there, been a lurker for awhile, and guess I should directly come and ask questions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I have UE tf10's, and I figured to buy a starter amp, a t4 or a mini3. Then I figured I should by a LOD, to bring my iPod and setup to its full potential. Maybe a 30$ lod could do the trick..

Before I go and spend the money, how big of a difference should I expect using just the amp, and the amp plus the LOD. Thanks for reading.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 16
I'm no expert but I'll tell you what I have anyways because it perfectly fits your budgets, especially since I've experienced the same transition into this 'stage'.

For the LOC, you can get cheap ones on Ebay, but I went with a Qables Performance Line and I'm waiting for it to arrive, so I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes. Reading other threads here, it does make a significant difference (theoretically, it all makes a lot of sense, so it should, and will). The cable was $50. The official USA reseller hangs about on Ebay and in the Qables forum.

For the amp, since I have ER-4Ps that don't require much extra drive, I went with the HeadRoom Total AirHead. Its $100. The difference for me was punchier bass, and better separation between the mids and the highs. Everything seems a bit warmer too, but mildly. Soundstage is a bit roomier but it takes a while to realize it (Crossfeed and all that)

Just my two cents. Since I'm new, you should probably wait around for someone more experienced to come along
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 16
go with the DIYers on the forum, you'll get more for your money IMO
tongue.gif
but if you want a cheap starter LOD, ebay is still your best bet; although I'm with pauly, LOD's last a long time, you are likely to keep it longer than your amp; so better to buy a decent one straight up and 'grow into it' as he said

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by npcraig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm new too and looking at LODs. Should one get a $30 LOD? $50? $90? I have an iPhone 3G, SE530s, and an iBasso D10 (in the mail).

You can get an excellent one for $30 and a more solid (probably longer lasting) for $39 - both on eBay. Check sellers awwan and bassel-e

There's a lot of hype on expensive LOD's - watch out. Both eBay sellers have sold 100's of LODs with 100% feedback. Sound is NO better in an expensive LOD.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 16
i bought my first amp today, ibasso T4. it seems to give about 40% boost IMO from my sansa clip. but all salesman say boost is "huge" from lineout.

damn... should i sell my cowon S9 and get an ipod????

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get an excellent one for $30 and a more solid (probably longer lasting) for $39 - both on eBay. Check sellers awwan and bassel-e

There's a lot of hype on expensive LOD's - watch out. Both eBay sellers have sold 100's of LODs with 100% feedback. Sound is NO better in an expensive LOD.

I disagree, the cheap one on ebay does not use quality wires as the more expensive one. Do you connect a thousand dollar speaker with a homedepot speaker wire?

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree, the cheap one on ebay does not use quality wires as the more expensive one. Do you connect a thousand dollar speaker with a homedepot speaker wire?

There's absolutely NO scientific proof that expensive LOD's work better than inexpensive ones. That's been discussed at length here on head-fi.

Speakers are an altogether different matter, and like headphones & IEMs, it's more to do with other aspects than just the wiring.

I happened to order one of those fancy $80 DIY LODs recommended to me by some seemingly experienced head-fiers with all the jargon used to describe them, and it turned out to be faulty, but even when it DID work, it didn't sound ANY better WHATSOEVER than the cheaper ones I had from eBay. I felt cheated and stupid having fallen prey to so much bull****.

I later read more on the topic, only to feel I'd made a mistake going for the more pricey LOD.

And as regards quality wires, the eBay ones do use quality wires, not as thick as some DIYs but quality nevertheless.

Expensive is often (not always) better than cheap, but in the case of LODs, it clrearly isn't.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's absolutely NO scientific proof that expensive LOD's work better than inexpensive ones. That's been discussed at length here on head-fi.

i don't think it's possible to objectively prove that expensive lod's work better when audio is so subjective.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 16
Agreed, but when you've tried 3 different LOD's like I have, and noticed NO difference at all, that certainly says something to me.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Luu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there, been a lurker for awhile, and guess I should directly come and ask questions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I have UE tf10's, and I figured to buy a starter amp, a t4 or a mini3. Then I figured I should by a LOD, to bring my iPod and setup to its full potential. Maybe a 30$ lod could do the trick..

Before I go and spend the money, how big of a difference should I expect using just the amp, and the amp plus the LOD. Thanks for reading.

I have the UE TF10's also, I just received my t4 in the mail and I refuse to use it until my LOD arrives, it should be here tomorrow. I will let you know how it sound once I get it. This is the cable I got from off ebay IPOD Line Out to Mini DOCK Silver 6" Dock Connect - eBay (item 270349611722 end time Mar-03-09 13:39:04 PST)
The cable comes 6in long (which is to long) i asked the seller if it could be shortend to about 2 1/2in, he agreed and custom made a cable with the same material for the same price. again once I get it ill comment on the build quality and performance. the cable is from Whiplash Audio Dynamics

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #15 of 16
Here's the 2 eBay LODs I mentioned earlier - I sold the second one and kept the first one.

IPOD LINE OUT DOCK WITH CABLE & PLUG (BLACK COLOR) on eBay, also Other, Audio Cables Connectors, A V Accessories Cables, Electronics (end time 04-Mar-09 01:18:10 GMT)

iPOD LINE OUT DOCK CABLE FOR HEAD PHONE AMPLIFIER - B4 on eBay, also, Other, Portable Audio Video, Electronics (end time 04-Mar-09 04:51:20 GMT)

Check for yourself the 'exceedingly cheap' materials used to make these LODs
Also check first seller has 100% feedback with over 800 items sold. Second seller also 100% feedback with over 2000 items sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back