question on iPod touch 2g output
Nov 3, 2008 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jwbrent

Headphoneus Supremus
I read somewhere the audio from the multi-pin output is no different than the headphone output. When using the universal dock, the output is variable suggesting this is true. Anyone know for sure?

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 8
There are both headphone out and line-out through the pin-out on the iPod (afaik).
The Universal Dock don't have a line-out though, in comparison to the older iPod docks. It has headphone out, which run through the built in amplifier and volume control.

Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwbrent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read somewhere the audio from the multi-pin output is no different than the headphone output. When using the universal dock, the output is variable suggesting this is true. Anyone know for sure?

I use a LOD cable, not a universal dock, and I don't know about the latter, but when using the LOD cable, the volume control is rendered useless. And the LOD sounds a lot better than HP out to me.

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are both headphone out and line-out through the pin-out on the iPod (afaik).
The Universal Dock don't have a line-out though, in comparison to the older iPod docks. It has headphone out, which run through the built in amplifier and volume control.

Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Thank you for the clarification and welcome. Been here before many times and finally got to registering so I can post.

John

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a LOD cable, not a universal dock, and I don't know about the latter, but when using the LOD cable, the volume control is rendered useless. And the LOD sounds a lot better than HP out to me.

Any suggestions for a good LOD cable? I know about the ALO but didn't want to spend $100 or more.

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 8
jwbrent

see DIY section... its very easy... or better buy LOD @ ibasso.com and use the mini-mini interconncts bundled with your amp...

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 8
I can verify that the new universal dock is a headphone out-- this fact pissed me off. I also didn't want to spring more for a magic piece of wire than I spent on the amp I use, so I picked up a sendstation dock on ebay for about 25$ new. Works great and sounds fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back