Question on Ethics
Mar 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Xinze

100+ Head-Fier

This question is regarding the ethics of buying and returning multiple $100 + Headphones on amazon. I didn't think it would fit in any of the headphone forums so I thought this might be a good place.

I'm very picky, and I keep finding small details that displeases me and can't tolerate them. Is there anything wrong with buying a pair if 'phones on Amazon, using for 2-3 weeks, and returning them to try out another? Is there a general agreement on the "limit" of how many times I've done this? I already have returned a pair of headphones, had the Shure SRH 840s for a few days, but it's really uncomfortable so I'm debating whether to return them and try out another pair by ordering from amazon.

Thanks in advance

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 22
Considering you keep paying for shipping I don't really think there's any problem with that. They have return policies for a reason. Return policies in general are made so customers can end up completely satisfied.

Quote:

This question is regarding the ethics of buying and returning multiple $100 + Headphones on amazon. I didn't think it would fit in any of the headphone forums so I thought this might be a good place.

I'm very picky, and I keep finding small details that displeases me and can't tolerate them. Is there anything wrong with buying a pair if 'phones on Amazon, using for 2-3 weeks, and returning them to try out another? Is there a general agreement on the "limit" of how many times I've done this? I already have returned a pair of headphones, had the Shure SRH 840s for a few days, but it's really uncomfortable so I'm debating whether to return them and try out another pair by ordering from amazon.

Thanks in advance

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 22
It's more difficult for them to sell opened box products for the initial price. You should be grateful that they allow customers to return headphones or whatever numerous times.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 22
While this is true I don't think it's a question of ethics. 

Quote:
It's more difficult for them to sell opened box products for the initial price. You should be grateful that they allow customers to return headphones or whatever numerous times.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 22
Couldn't think of the word to describe it.. I guess morals would somewhat work but I think my point is pretty clear. I'm very grateful for the return policy, and I just want to know if there's a limit to it's use. I have quite a long list of contending headphones, so it really might take a while + quite a few unboxed items for me to end up satisfied.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
Considering you keep paying for shipping I don't really think there's any problem with that. They have return policies for a reason. Return policies in general are made so customers can end up completely satisfied.

I usually use super-saver shipping, so that's $0 for me
biggrin.gif

So you suggest that I buy and return until I find my pair?

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 22
If they let you do it, go ahead and do it. Amazon's big, if they think they can handle then they can. I wouldn't do it to a small business, though.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 22
Whenever you return something they take the shipping out of your refunds. They don't pay both ways unless it's defective...

Unless they changed that recently.

Quote:
I usually use super-saver shipping, so that's $0 for me
biggrin.gif

So you suggest that I buy and return until I find my pair?

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
I'm a cheapo and use Super Saver shipping so I pay nothing. Also, does anyone here have amazon prime and is it worth it?

I've had Amazon Prime for a couple years now, and I love it. Free 2-day shipping on many items, or only $4 for next day delivery (I just received my Denon AH-D5000 I ordered Friday). Add in the free streaming video, plus if you own a Kindle you can borrow a book per month, free, for as long as you want it. You have to return it to borrow another book, but I've already read a few books I would have had to buy. It's $79/year, so you have to weigh the cost/convenience aspect for yourself.

One thing I will say: We buy a lot more stuff on Amazon since we got Amazon Prime, but a lot of it is stuff we would have bought anyway. Prime just makes it easier.

(One Click, Y U No Stop Me!)

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 22
I've been considering it once I get my gear together and pretty much just buy music. LPs and CDs are normally cheaper on Amazon and it'd be great to get them asap.

Quote:
I've had Amazon Prime for a couple years now, and I love it. Free 2-day shipping on many items, or only $4 for next day delivery (I just received my Denon AH-D5000 I ordered Friday). Add in the free streaming video, plus if you own a Kindle you can borrow a book per month, free, for as long as you want it. You have to return it to borrow another book, but I've already read a few books I would have had to buy. It's $79/year, so you have to weigh the cost/convenience aspect for yourself.

One thing I will say: We buy a lot more stuff on Amazon since we got Amazon Prime, but a lot of it is stuff we would have bought anyway. Prime just makes it easier.

(One Click, Y U No Stop Me!)

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 22
It's only unethical if you are circumventing some sort of store policy.  For example, claiming they are defective when they are not.  If the store allows you to return an item, and you return them stating dissatisfaction as your reasons, you are fine.  It's not unethical.  However, there is a fine line here.  If you do it enough times, I think you could abuse the store's generous return policy.  If the store feels like they are being abused, they can refuse your return requests in the future. 

In a related experience, in the span of two years, I purchased about 6 or 7 (different focal lengths) SLR camera lenses from B&H.  Several of them came with front/back focusing issues.  I knew my camera body was calibrated, so the issues were with the lenses.  Other lenses worked perfectly.  I returned some of these to exchange them for non-defective copies.  After another lens came with a focusing issue and I tried to exchange it, B&H told me they would no longer take returns from me and demanded I used the warranty service from the manufacturer to fix the lenses.  This really put a sour taste in my mouth because I only returned about 4 lenses over the years and they were truly defective.  I wasn't auditioning lenses; I was buying.  I exchanged them for the exact model.  Anyway, that ticked me off, but I wanted to use that as an example of how stores can cut you off if they feel they are being abused.

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
In a related experience, in the span of two years, I purchased about 6 or 7 (different focal lengths) SLR camera lenses from B&H.  Several of them came with front/back focusing issues.  I knew my camera body was calibrated, so the issues were with the lenses.  Other lenses worked perfectly.  I returned some of these to exchange them for non-defective copies.  After another lens came with a focusing issue and I tried to exchange it, B&H told me they would no longer take returns from me and demanded I used the warranty service from the manufacturer to fix the lenses.  This really put a sour taste in my mouth because I only returned about 4 lenses over the years and they were truly defective.  I wasn't auditioning lenses; I was buying.  I exchanged them for the exact model.  Anyway, that ticked me off, but I wanted to use that as an example of how stores can cut you off if they feel they are being abused.

Sorry to tell you that but I'm on the side of B&H in that case. There should be a limit of returned items otherwise the losses on their part would be great. You should know that they can't sell opened or used gear for the initial price. These opened items go to the secondary market with discounts. 

As Head Injury rightly said if it was a small family business then she would try not to return products because you damage their profits by doing this. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 22
I would agree with you if the lenses were not defective.  They were defective because they had focus issues.  Since they were defective, B&H cannot sell them as new or open box.  They must go back to Canon.  I shouldn't have to pay shipping to Canon for repair and wait 4-8 weeks for a lens that was defective straight out of the box.  It's no sweat for B&H because they don't have to sell the open box.  Since they were defective, they'd go back to Canon for refurbishment.  The, Canon would take the charge off that lens or replace it for free in the next shipment.  The loss would be Canon's and not B&H's.

Quote:
Sorry to tell you that but I'm on the side of B&H in that case. There should be a limit of returned items otherwise the losses on their part would be great. You should know that they can't sell opened or used gear for the initial price. These opened items go to the secondary market with discounts. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back