Question on custom iem
Jan 2, 2013 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

noobass456

Head-Fier
Hi all,
Thinking of reshelling my TF10, however i got issue with its comfort. How's its comfort, is it like those triple flanges where it requires deep insertion to your ear drum(?) or does it just rest on your ear? I cant seem to wear triple flanges iem.
Thanks.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 10
It really depends on the fit. You need a proper fit to get comfort and in that Customs can be clearly superior. So if you don't mind going through potential refits then it could work. But also consider the TF10s sound changing. At least for me it did and I was not happy with it. It added even more bass emphasis which was not to my liking. I actually much preferred using the Custom TF10s for gaming instead of music once reshelled. In the end I still had fit issues with them and was not happy. I ended up losing them (or got stolen). Now I'm waiting on my 8As and hoping I won't have the same issues I had in regards to comfort like I did on the TF10s.....

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 10
They go deep in your ear. Though, they will be more comfortable. They will not put as much pressure on your ear, which is usually where the discomfort comes from.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
They go deep in your ear. Though, they will be more comfortable. They will not put as much pressure on your ear, which is usually where the discomfort comes from.

The thing is ender for me the stock TF10s were more comfortable lol so that's the funny part.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 10
Huh. Sounds like a crappy reshell. Did you do the mold by yourself, or get it from an audiologist? Is it because it goes in deep to your ear, or are there pressure points inside?

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Huh. Sounds like a crappy reshell. Did you do the mold by yourself, or get it from an audiologist? Is it because it goes in deep to your ear, or are there pressure points inside?

Both. The fit was extremely tight. Even after the refit. I followed directions on how to do the impressions with the mouth open and due to this the fit was too tight. I have a big jaw so these directions simply don't apply to me. I just used my index finger this time around to hold my jaw open instead of having it open wide. It was so tight in fact that I was getting headaches from the suction the seal would cause. Plus my ears were getting small cuts inside. So hopefully this time around this wont be the issue. If not and even if refits don't address the issue then I'm just allergic to acrylic period.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Both. The fit was extremely tight. Even after the refit. I followed directions on how to do the impressions with the mouth open and due to this the fit was too tight. I have a big jaw so these directions simply don't apply to me. I just used my index finger this time around to hold my jaw open instead of having it open wide. It was so tight in fact that I was getting headaches from the suction the seal would cause. Plus my ears were getting small cuts inside. So hopefully this time around this wont be the issue. If not and even if refits don't address the issue then I'm just allergic to acrylic period.

I woulden't make them yourself-just get them from an audiologist. Your jaw being open or not has nothing to do with it. Its about relaxing your jaw, as your ear canal becomes smaller when your jaw is tense. Also, you should pull the top of your ear upwards, this will open up the canal more. Basically just keep your whole head really relaxed. Don't talk, tense your jaw, smile, frown, wink, or tense your cheeks. So-relax yourself, get them from an audiologist, and also make sure to get them into your ear all the way. Hold your ear up, and relax your head, and push it as far in as you can.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
I woulden't make them yourself-just get them from an audiologist. Your jaw being open or not has nothing to do with it. Its about relaxing your jaw, as your ear canal becomes smaller when your jaw is tense. Also, you should pull the top of your ear upwards, this will open up the canal more. Basically just keep your whole head really relaxed. Don't talk, tense your jaw, smile, frown, wink, or tense your cheeks. So-relax yourself, get them from an audiologist, and also make sure to get them into your ear all the way. Hold your ear up, and relax your head, and push it as far in as you can.

Not really ender. When I open my mouth even with my universals my ear canals expand quite a bit. This means a much tighter fit than just say opening my mouth a little bit. Maybe for you it wont matter but for me it does. I use large silicone flanges to get a seal with universals and even with those I can completely break the seal just by opening my mouth.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 10
Also I did go to an audiologist this time and that doesn't mean you'll get a good fit from them either. Generally it seems most people have fit issues regardless and its not from the fit being too tight but not giving them a proper seal. I was the opposite of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back