Question on amp for HD 650's
Feb 25, 2007 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

humour_me

New Head-Fier
Hey guys this is my first post on here so go easy
tongue.gif
Been wanting a good sounding hifi system for some time now and after some research headphones would appear to give me the best sound for my money. I have decided that I will be getting the HD650's just need some advice on which amp. I have settled myself on the corda aria from Meier audio is this a good choice for the 650's? Will it deliver the full potential of them? Are there any other amps you can recommend that are not portable and mains powered (am in the uk so 240v) for around £150 / $300? Look forward to the replies
icon10.gif

Adam

Feb 25, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 15
Gilmore Lite.
I have that with my 650s and it blows my mind.

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 15
Did have a look at it before trouble was its us mains not uk. I know i can just use a transformer but would prefer to just plug it in. Does it sound good enough over the aria to warrent transformers and such? Thanks for the suggestion though
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 15
I've ordered a Gilmore Lite for my HD650's, and I'm in Sweden. Justin (the Headamp-guy) sends along a wallwart which transforms 220-240v to 110v (which I'm guessing is what the amp wants).
You got flat pins in your sockets in the UK, am I right? I have no idea if the wallwart will have round of flat pins (this strikes me as something I should've asked..), but since the input/output will be correct, I guess the only thing you'll potentially have to buy is something that converts the round pins to flat ones. Or just mail and ask him if he can deliver wallwart w/ flat pins.

I ordered mine two weeks ago.. I REEE-EEALLY hope it turns up early this week. I'm getting restless. ^^

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by humour_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
corda aria from Meier audio is this a good choice for the 650's? Will it deliver the full potential of them?
Adam

People with that amp generally like them and their sound.
And Meier ships to the USA, and all the various Euro countries, so you can be sure he will have the right power cord and plug with your amp.
Do a search on "corda aria" and read the many posts about it, to help you decide.

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 15
I was doing the same research as you. I wanted a fine amp to synergize well with my HD650. After reading through several posts, reviews,recommendations I could shortlist the following amps

1) PPA ($ $450) --this is DIY amp
2) M^3 (max. $450) --this is also a DIY amp
3) Heed Canamp (~$360)
4) Gilmore Lite (~$400)
5) RSA Raptor (~$1100)

I have ordered for Heed Canamp. I will get it only next month.

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 15
i had tried senn hd650 with various ss amps, it liked headamp gs-1 driving hd650 best. but i think hd650 have more synergy with tube amps, and for $300 you can a used antique sound labs mg-head otl mark3. that amp is probably the best bang/buck driving hd 650, imo.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but i think hd650 have more synergy with tube amps

Really? I thought most people said HD650s are better with SS amps since the HD650 is already a "warm" headphone. So you wouldn't want tubes...which also produce a warm character. I dunno though...I have no first hand experience with tube amps. Hopefully soon.
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I thought most people said HD650s are better with SS amps since the HD650 is already a "warm" headphone. So you wouldn't want tubes...which also produce a warm character. I dunno though...I have no first hand experience with tube amps. Hopefully soon.
biggrin.gif

Yes, HD650 is already a warm can. SS amps will do better justice to them. Except the >$1000 tube amps like Raptor and Single Power PPX3 all other suggestions I got from people are only SS amps.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 15
I really enjoy the Woo 3 with my HD650s. Maybe you can find a used one in your price range that includes some NOS tubes as well. This amp is magic with what it does to the 650s. It is very detailed and musical.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

that's what people said, ss amps pair better with hd650 because of their 'warm' sound signature. but i didn't find that to be the case, now i have asl mg-head otl32 driving my hd650, this combo produces lust, euphonic sound...what i'd always imagined what tubes suppose to sound like.

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #15 of 15
I'm considering the possibility of replacing the excellent hd 650s for the 650s. Is it worth the upgrade or shouls I wait and get a pair of hd 800s? I previously owner the hd800s and I do miss that marvelous sound stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back